New Lounger
    Thanks

Please Help! Flickering problem (IE6)

I have Win2000, IE6, and an ATI Radeon 7200. I previously had IE5.5 and all of a sudden the web pages started flickering like crazy. They were especially visible when I went to www.espn.com. Once I went there, other sites began to flicker. Whenever I moved over the links on the side of www.isthmus.com (for example), the whole web page flickers. I don't think it is isolated to ESPN because it happens on other sites. I upgraded everything, IE5.5 to IE6, upgraded to DirectX 8.1, upgraded my BIOS, and my video drivers but the pages still flicker. I have seen previous posts related to this problem but no helpful answers. I even rebooted my computer in Safemode with networking and the pages still flicker. This to me says that it isn't my video driver. Also, the problems don't occur on the pages when using Netscape.. but I don't like Netscape.

Can someone please help me. I appreciate any and all help that comes my way.

Chad Waldman

P.S. I tried turning on the Advanced option of Force onscreen compositing even under Terminal Server but still nothing. I even tried setting the troubleshooting / Performance slider down to nothing under Advanced / troubleshooting tab of the Display menu/screen.

UPDATE! - I went into DXDIAG and it says that the file ddrawex.dll is missing or corrupt. I don't know if this affects anything, espcially since the problem still appears in SafeMode. I tried reinstalled DirectX 8.1 but the message is still there. Anyone have this file for DX 8.1 and Win2000?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Please Help! Flickering problem (IE6)

Chad,

Did you ever get a fix to this problem? I have the exact same issues as you have described below and I am unable to resolve it.

Many thanks

Regards

John

New Lounger
    Thanks

No. I never fixed it. It made me switch to using Netscape for flash-heavy
    websites. The problem doesn't seem to occur in the Netscape version. Several
    people have told me that it is related to a DirectX problem. Unfortunately,
    the only fix is to reinstall Windows. It didn't even fix the problem when I
    upgraded to DirectX 9. If you can solve the problem or have any leads, I would
    really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Chad

Thanks

Chad,

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone have this file for DX 8.1 and Win2000?
    -----------------------------------------------------------

There are copies of ddrawex.dll in my win/system32 & win/dllcache folders. It is only about 24k in size, if you need it.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Chad,
    Have you installed the Feb. 10, 2003 ATI drivers version 3.1? Did you follow ATI's suggestion of un-installing the old version first (I.e. not installing 'on top of')? Could it be as simple as the refresh rate?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chad,

Fixed it by uninstalling IE, then installed 5.5SP2, as apparently it has an earlier version of the Micosoft JAVA software. Then reinstalled IE6SP1 over the top

Regards

John

New Lounger
    Thanks

The flickering appeared to occur on Macromedia Flash animations, not JAVA. Is this what you had? I will give your idea a shot. Thank you.

Chad

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Chad,
    Have you installed the latest Flash player?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

You could try turning down the hardware acceleration. See this thread on the PowerPoint board for an illustration.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has given suggestions. I have tried everything but I still cannot fix it. One of these days I will just suck it up, format and reinstall Windows using XP.

To let you know, here is what I tried:
    Uninstalling IE6, installing IE 5.5, reinstalling IE6
    Lowering hardware accelleration
    installed the latest ATI drivers
    reinstalled DirectX 9
    reinstalled Netscape (someone emailed me and said this solved their problem).
    As for installing Flash, I go to the macromedia site and go to download it. IE prompts to install, I select Yes and the test Flash animation works fine.

I have no idea what is messing up on my computer. An especially flickering site is espn.com. It has a lot of white blocks flickering on top of the main page. Using Netscape, the same page looks fine.

Chad