New Lounger
    Thanks

Send Page/Link by E-Mail (6.0/Outlook 2002 SP1)

When I select File - Send -Page/Link as e-mail, IE brings up a new Outlook e-mail with the link or page in the body, but when I click the "To" button to select a recipient, there's nothing there. How do I get my Outlook Contacts list to show up? I recently installed Win XP Pro and installed Office XP fresh, then copied my old Outlook 2002 .pst file to the XP drive. Is there a setting I need to check?

Thanks,

Eric

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Send Page/Link by E-Mail (6.0/Outlook 2002 SP1)

Hi Eric--
    I posted a similar question on Sept. 4 on the XP threads and possibly months before that. There seems to be a similar question on this board WinXP/IE65/Send a Link
    and I have had a problem with sending as a link through whatever email you have as default, Hotmail, OLE, Outlook that you sent at Tools>Options>Programs Tab. I posted here on the XP thread--have no idea how the a's got italicized bold. The first link says "Microsoft has no answer" but they have to have an answer. It's been called to their attention many times.
    BTW, this feature worked fine in the Beta's for XP RC1 and RC2 prior to RTM. If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd really like to find out. It's worth a search again to see if their is any updated fix. I couldn't find anything when I looked a while ago on the MSKB.

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Eric, I'm running XP Pro SP-1 and Outlook 2002 SP-2 and CAN send a link (if I work around the stupid MS security junk in Outlook). Maybe there is something in one of the service packs which fixes the problem. I seldom use that functionality so I don't know if it worked before the service packs.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe--
    Suspect that's true. Will you try it with Hotmail just to satisfy my curiosity? It used to place the hyperlink in the body. I am just curious. If you don't use it you can open an account in a second. Thanks,

defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, defrag, and all:

Thanks for the ideas - I think I solved the problem. It appears that I deleted the Outlook Address Book service (Tools-E-Mail Accounts-Directory). I just "added" an address book (Outlook, not Personal) and my Contacts list now shows up whenever I click the Send Link or Send Page commands.

I think you may also need to make sure that Contacts can be displayed in the Address Book - its on the Outlook Address Book tab of the Properties dialog for Contacts.

Now if I could only get rid of the duplicate appearances caused by fax addresses in the Contacts list.

Thanks again,

Eric

Administrator
    Thanks

Eric, As you can send a fax from Outlook, to Outlook those are a second 'mail' address. I don't know of any way to not display them.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

defrag, Hotmail seems to work OK for me. A url shows as an attachment in the compostition window.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right Joe. But all the way through the Betas, and whenever it started from the IE toolbar--
    Windows 95? I'm guessing here--"Send a link" would place the hyperlink of the particular web page you were on in HTML in the body of the email you had as default and it was a faster convenience. I guess you could say though that there's not a huge difference between opening up any email in another window and pasting the web page url in the body and achieving the same thing. But it was convenient, and they had to do something to change it. I don't know about 95 but it is that way in 98, 98SE, ME, NT, 2000 and all the XP Betas I believe. It was in the RC1 Beta I used as always, but not in XP Pro or Home. It's of course not a huge deal, but I don't understand why they would say "Send as a Link" as always and you're really sending as an attachment and why the developers would keep it up there on the toolbar and disable its functionality. Surely even at as superficial a level as a menu label (after all it's not com; it's not an object), you would think they would test what was on their menus before releasing it or change the menu to reflect what it's supposed to do).

Thanks,

defrag