5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Individual TOC entries (Word97/2000/2002)

I wanted to mark (in addition to my paragraph headers) some entries in a document so that they would appear in the TOC. On consulting the help, I found that the {TC}-field is to be used for this. So... I used this (from the menu, manually, using Ctrl-F9 and using Alt-Shift-O) and in all cases I can indeed create such fields.

However if I update (re-generate) my TOC, the enties do NOT APPEAR.... (tried this on two different systems with two different Word-versions)... I guess I'm missing something here but have no clue, can anybody please help me out here???

Thanks,

Erik Jan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Individual TOC entries (Word97/2000/2002)

If you break up the automatic TOC built via Insert | Index and Tables by adding extra fields manually then yes, when you choose the update entire table option your extras are lost.

I take it these extra entries are not simple sub-headings that can be styled at a level lower than the paragraph headings so they are automatically picked up by the TOC and so appear under the relevant paragraph header entry?

No, so can you can create a new style that looks like 'normal' but has the outline level of the paragraph set to something above 'Body text' so that the TOC will find it? Of course that won't work if your extra entries are a short phrase in the middle of text that you don't want to list because the TOC find the style and the style applies to the whole paragraph .

If you are a VBA whizz, which sadly I am not, you can probably write a pile of code to build a TOC based on suitably placed bookmarks. Others out there are likely to have better ideas.

(not)stuck(at the moment)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I understand your suggestions about trying an extra style and trying that, but not your first statement.... What are these {TC} fields for in the first place then??? Aren't they supposed to be used just for my particular problem (to add words to a TOC)... you can even set the TOC-level in the field-options !
    WORD-help seems to suggest all of this and -again- I wouldn't / couldn't come up with another reason for the existence of this field.... And re-building a TOC should not have anything to do with that... should it??

So my problem remains: why doesn't this field work for me?? OK: I'd also accept ;-) an explanation telling me what the field DOES do....

EJ

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I misread your original post because in the past I tried to add extra bits to my TOC by actually splitting the TOC, preconceived ideas, sorry...

The real fix to your problem is found in Insert | Index and Tables | Table of Contents tab |Options button where you will find a check box for Table entry fields. Once that is ticked your TOC will find the TC fields.

stuck(in a rut by the sound of things)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bingo (sometimes things are sooooo easy; I did see that "Table-entry" and even used the ?-help to check it out, but from the description I only got info about "tables" which didn't trigger me to understand they mean {TC} fileds... actually it still doesn't but... your tip works, I'm happy!)

Thanks!

Erik Jan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> find a check box for Table entry fields

Thank you!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just for your information, the TOC can also be built manually. If you select your TOC & press Shift+F9, you'll see the switches for the TOC that build it.

Word will default to building the table of contents based on the built-in heading styles if no other switches are added to the field.

f builds a TOC using TC field entries
    t builds a TOC using other Style names (you place the style names after)
    o builds a TOC using Heading Styles (outline levels)

NOTE: If you want to build the TOC using Heading styles as well as TC fields or other Styles, then you must add the o switch as well as the f and t switches.

The best way to learn about switches is to go to Insert/Fields... & then pick the field you want on the right side of the dialog box. Once you click it & select options, you'll see just about all the switches that can be used, along with an explanation (albeit brief).

Cheers,