Star Lounger
    Thanks

O2K Developer: Application Startup Shortcut (Access 2000 Developer)

The Office 2000 Developer packages my application effectively, but appears to provide limited facilities when compared with the A97 equivalent. In particular, I would like to be able to define the icon to be used with the shotcut(s) I define to start my application. While I can edit the SETUP.LST file to add switches to the shortcut (for exampel, to define a workgroup), I can see no option to set the icon.

Can anyone help me with a way to do this, please?

Are there any particular web sites that you have found useful in using the Developer Edition?

Thanks.
    Geoffrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: O2K Developer: Application Startup Shortcut (Access 2000 Developer)

It's been a while since I used either wizard, since I gave up on the packaging wizard years ago in frustration, but I don't recall the 97 implementation being any *better* than the 2000. However, one huge difference in that the 2000 is more automated and doesn't force you to decipher the lousy help to figure out where some of the items should actually go. Are you talking about the icon that appears in the Program menu? Did you include an icon with the same name as the mdb in the file list and assign it to the AppPath directory?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. Yes, I am referring to the icon that appears in the Start Programs menu. I'll try your suggestion about putting in an icon with the same name.

I would be interested to know what you use to package applications instead of the M/S wizards. Especially when you need to (sometimes) install the Access runtimes on the client machine.

Geoffrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

At work we use Wise Installer with SageKey scripts. We produce commercial software and it has to install properly on any version of Windows from 9x up and with any possible version of Office already installed. I've also used InstallShield Express, which is easier to use because it doesn't require any programming. None of the third party installers is cheap, but I had so many problems trying to create reliable setups with the packaging wizard that I gave up on it years ago.

As long as you have the developer's version of Office, you have a license to distribute the runtime. It doesn't matter what installer you use to do so.
    Charlotte