Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back link in Word inside IE (Word97/2000 IE5.01/5.5)

I'm working on an intranet. We have MSIE/Word configured so that when someone clicks on a link to a .doc file the Word document opens inside the IE window. As long as we keep going forward, we can move around in the Word document and to other Word documents using Word's links. However, if we try to go backward in the Word document (using IE's Back button), we go out of the the Word document and back to the .htm page that initially got us into the Word loop.

Is there a way to fix this so we can back up through the previously visited links in the Word document(s)? Or is this the way IE/Word behave together?

Thanks!

George
    george.earl@ssa.gov

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Back link in Word inside IE (Word97/2000 IE5.01/5.5)

Hi George:
    I'm not sure of this, but I notice that you haven't had any bites, yet. When you say that you've had IE/Word configured to open in an IE window, do you mean that View/File Types/Microsoft Word Document/Edit has "Browse in same window" checked? I know that will determine whether a doc link in an IE window will open in its native application or IE.

When you go from link to link, does a history develop or does a new IE window open? You can look either in the history pane or next to the back arrow on IE's toolbar. If a brand new window is opening, then you can't go back.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Yes, I have "Browse in same window" checked, so links to Word documents open inside the same IE window.

Upon further investigation I've found that the Back button is, in fact, working sometimes with the Word links. I checked the Back button history as you suggested and of course the Back link works when there is history.
    I just haven't been able to determine why the history is saved for some Word links and not for others.

Thanks for your response!

George

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi George:
    If a link opens in the SAME browser window, then you should be able to use the back button. If it opens in a brand new window, then that new window has no "history" and you can't use the back button.

I do know that if you hold the Shift key down while you click a link OR if you right click & choose "Open in new window", that's what happens--usually. It may also be how the web document is created. You might want to check this out on the IE board.
    Cheers,