Lounger
    Thanks

Computer Telephone (Office 2000)

I'm looking for some software to turn my computer/voice modem into a high-performing phone system.

I can use Outlook to dial calls for me, but with so much fuss that it's often easier just to pick up the phone and push the buttons. I'm looking for an add-in or other software that will:

Pick up a contact # in Outlook and dial it for me, and do it more easily than going through all the menus and stuff that Outlook has.
    Record the call if I want to, with or without the warning tones
    Display Calling number ID passed on by the phone line, in a separate window that doesn't seize the focus (i.e., doesn't start capturing all my keystrokes that I think I'm entering into some other program)
    Repeat dial if I request it
    Transmit the "number disconnected" signal immediately upon answering, to tell telemarketers to take me off their list
    Log all this happening

etc.

(don't need voicemail features at all)

I just spent an hour searching for both commercial and shareware software that will do all this, but although many programs do a few of these things, none do it all.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Rich

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer Telephone (Office 2000)

And while you are replying does anyone know of a program that will do most of this and is compatible with the Australian Telephone System
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not really familiar with a specific product that will answer all of your needs - especially one that works ONLY with a modem and software.

However, I hope I can help point you in the right direction. I remember seeing a product from Nortel Networks that integrated a powerful office phone with some special software (callerID, faxing, contact database, etc...) via USB interface. I'm not sure what's currently in the market, but that was about 3 or 4 years back, so I'm sure they've developed even more neat stuff since then.

Give them a look-see!

Lounger
    Thanks

UPDATE:

A program called Phoneworks will do most of this stuff with certain modems. I'm still checking on some features.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

'Scuse my curiosity, but what's the point in having your software transmit the number disconnected signal immediately upon answering - how can it tell if the call's from a telemarketing company until you answer it? Or are you going to tell me you know the telephone numbers for every telemarketing company around?!

Otherwise as far as I can tell, it would merely mean you never answer the phone again and everyone believes you've been disconnected!

On the other hand, if you do know of a way of enabling it to tell immediately if the caller is a telemarketeer, I'd really like to know how to do just that!
    Beryl M

Lounger
    Thanks

The "number disconnected" signal is some kind of tone or something, possibly inaudible. Only a telemarketer's computer system will be aware of it. Ordinary callers won't hear it, so they won't have any idea of what's going on.. To use this system (and Radio Shack sells one for $49.95), you just pause a second before saying anything. Telemarketer systems are always dialing in advance of an actual human drone being available to speak, that's why you have that silence when you first pick up, the one that tells you it's a telemarketing call. During that silence, the "number disconnected" signal gets sent. The nice thing is that these systems share information, so after a while, you just aren't on anybody's calling list anymore! (or so the theory goes.)

People might wonder why there's always a one second pause between the time you pick up and the time you speak, but that's the only penalty you might have.

Another tack to take with telemarketers, if you have some spare time, is to read the script from:

http://www.junkbusters.com/ht/en/script.html

That gets action, because it's firmly based on the law. I've used it twice, and it's been very amusing to see the telemarketers go from offense to defense.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I presume the use of the $ sign before the figure you quote means you're in the States - is this likely to be something we can't get here in the UK? Otherwise, what is it called, so I can see if I can find it here ...

Many thanks
    Beryl M

Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a CNN article with information on several different offerings. It doesn't mention the UK specifically, but I hope it's helpful.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/10/10/b...reut/index.html

rich