Lounger
    Thanks

Triggering Recalc (w2kO2ksr1)

I'm working on a fairly complicated workbook that now takes several seconds to recalc. That's not a huge problem, but something has started to happen now that is irritating: Normally I thought Excel only recalculated what it needed to recalc after a user's actions. But I've done something that caused Excel to recalc what appears to be the entire workbook every time I do anything. For example, I will type a new word in a single cell that is not connected to anything at all, and Excel recalcs for three seconds. I can see the recalcs spreading out over the workbook, so I know it is recalcing lots of things. What did I do to cause it to recalc all the time?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Triggering Recalc (w2kO2ksr1)

Does the workbook use any of the VBA events, such as the Workbook_SheetChange, Workbook_SheeetSelectionChange, Worksheet_SelectionChange, or Worksheet_Change events? These might cause it to recalculate when entering a word into a non-referenced cell.

Lounger
    Thanks

No events of the kind you listed. Nor have I used any volatile functions. Here's another interesting thing: if I open some other unrelated workbook and type something in a cell in that workbook, it causes the first one to recalc! That seems a bit of overkill. One thing I do have is some unresolved links that I have not gotten around to deleting: could that cause a problem?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The links might be causing it. You might try checking the "Ask to Update Automatic Links" box, as shown below:
    Attached Images Attached Images