Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Backup (2000)

I'd like to backup Outlook.pst to another drive as often as possible.

The Microsoft backup add-in allows me to do this, but:

1. It only executes when I close down Outlook, and
    2. It only executes when I ask it to, i.e., it's manual not automatic. The closest it comes to automation is to remind me every n number of days that I should execute the backup. "n" here must be a whole number of days (not the every 2 hours or so) that I would like, and even then I have to execute the command manually.

I could deal with issue #1. If I could get backup to execute every time I shut down Outlook, I'd be happy enough. Then an Outlook reminder every so often would tell me to close and reopen Outlook, all of which would just take a few minutes, or I could ignore it, safe in the knowledge that a recent backup exists anyway from the last time I shut down Outlook.

Others have boot sequences that copy outlook.pst to another location each time the computer boots up, but:

1. If something horrible happens that both corrupts my outlook.pst file and also crashes Windows, I really don't want the corrupted copy to automatically be copied over to my backup location (duh), and
    2. Sometimes I don't reboot for days or weeks at a time.

There is a shareware program called Outback Plus that might do most of what I want. Clever name, does anybody have any experience with it?

Is there another solution? Will any scheduler programs work to run the backup sequence automatically somehow? Do any other add-ins exist?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Backup (2000)

Yeah, well, umm err, Outback Plus can do just about everything I want it to do, so I recommend it for this problem (if anybody else wants to back up Outlook frequently).

It has several switches that allow it to run unattended. It will shut down Outlook, save the files, then restart Outlook, all in a minute or so. It works great, unless you have left open an item that you are composing (note, email, forward, calendar). Then Outlook asks you if you want to save the item before it actually closes, and of course if you aren't there, it just patiently waits for you to return and answer. All this is pretty poorly documented.

Otherwise, it's a great solution.

You can also schedule multiple backups each day, and they are all different, in the Windows scheduler program. Win2K anyway. You just check "multiple schedules" in the advanced settings part of the scheduler wizard, or in the schedules tab if you don't use the wizard. Then you can have a backup everyday at 8am, 9am, 10 am, whatever.