2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Used Computer Problems

Please help. I bought an old Pentium 100 computer and it has a SCSCI board attached to the motherboard. Can I remove this board and its attached cables and go with IDE only? THere is a spot on the motherboard for an IDE hard drive. But when I hooked up an old WD hard drive, it says invalid C drive. This is a Micron computer I picked up for $7 but I'd like to get Win98 installed for the kids. Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking f taking everything out (all boards) and re-seating everything from scratch. Thanks for all you help.

Thanks

Re: Used Computer Problems

I don't see why you can't get rid of the scsi drive and install the IDE, but you will have to go into the BIOS settings to either automatically or manually spec the new drive as drive C. Also you will have to make sure that at least the primary EIDE function is enabled and all mention of SCSI is disabled.
    As long as your WD drive is partitioned and formatted OK, you should be able to have the OS recognize it also.
    Good Luck
    Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Used Computer Problems

Thanks Bob. The computer I bought has no operating system. BUT there might be 1 on my old hard drive. I don't remember. I'll go into the BIOS and try to wipe out any mention of SCSCI and get back to you.