New Lounger
    Thanks

Open Office Document (Office XP)

Can annyone suggest how to change the default setting for "Open Office Document" to "All Files" ? I receive a lot of documents from a variety of sources, and it is would be much easier to use the shortcut if I did not have to change to "All Files" each time I use the shortcut.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open Office Document (Office XP)

Open the Registry Editor, and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0OSAFin dFile. Create a new string value with the name "Filters", and a value "All Files (*.*)" (without the quotes). This will replace the default filters with just one new filter, which is automatically the default in the dialog. You can add more filters if you like, but the dialog will always start with the second filter in the list. The following "Filters" value creates three filters, and displays "All files" as the default: "Documents (*.doc);All Files (*.*);Workbooks (*.xl*)". I haven't found a way yet to simply preset the filter index.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Don
    Thanks for that -- its easy once you know how.

Would it be possible to set the same kind of default in Word 2002 when you access the Open File command?

If so, where do I find the appropriate registry key?

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, but in Office XP VBA you can use the FileDialog object to create your own FileOpen dialog (wwith its own filters and filter index), and then write a FileOpen macro that replaces the built-in command, showing your private dlg instead.