3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mapping Software

I am the Regional Chairperson of a non-profit organization that covers 6 states (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana & Wyoming). There are 9 formal groups where the local members meet, but at least 1/2 of our membership is isolated away from these groups.

I'm attempting to put together a membership directory for the 300+ members scattered through the region, and had a request to include some simple maps so that those of us who are traveling throughout the 6-state area can easily see if there is a fellow member living nearby.

My initial concept of this directory is that we will list the members alphabetically by name, with a key number reference to their position on a particular map. I'm assuming I will need at least one map for each state. Two appendices will cross-reference 1) the members under each key number for the corresponding map, and 2) each of the 9 formal groups' membership information.

I have the membership information entered on an Excel spreadsheet, and I can easily import the relevant information into a Word mail merge. I've used this in the past for other directories, and it works quite nicely.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can create the maps, with my index references on them? Keep in mind that this is a non-profit organization, and I will probably donate the expense of any software out of my own pocket. Also, I would like to keep the maps fairly simple, both for ease of use and to keep the printing costs down.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mapping Software

Samanatha, Excel has mapping capabilities, but you neeed to install Microsoft Map which should be an option on the installation CD's.

Since you have the data in Excel, I'm going to suggest that Lounge Moderators move your post to the Excel Forum, where someone with expertise may be able to help you. (I don't have eperience with the mapping software myself.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for pointing out Microsoft Maps, John. Turns out I did have it installed. Unfortunately, Microsoft Maps is just a teaser for MapInfo, who sells mapping software.

In Microsoft Map I could only use a map of the entire US, and even then, it would not accept my data as point markers on the map -- I had to accept one of its pre-set options; i.e. Major Cities, Airports, etc. Microsoft Map did provide a help topic pointing to getting additional maps, but that simply led me to MapInfo.com, where appears that I would have to buy their software to get the additional maps. I don't have that kind of budget.

I think I'll just fall back on my original idea of scanning the local road maps into my computer, and then I can edit them to add in the index markers.

Perhaps the Moderators could bump this thread back to the "Software Finds & Wants" Category to see if anyone has any alternative suggestions.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Samantha,

Help might be a little thin- post your message on Software, and link it back to this thread. and link this thread back the the software forum. I can then lock this thread, so it's available for Excel people.

I'd check out what's on the web. There is a service available here in Australia where you can get a directory reference for an address. If you have something like that in the US, you could just post a web link.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Samantha, apologies that my answer was of no use. Here are a couple of map sites where you may be able to obtain free US State maps, but you'd have to do the location mapping yourself manually.

http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/states.html

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/map_s...tes_sites.html
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff,
    Sorry, it's early here & my brain hasn't woken up even though my eyes are open. I had originally posted this message in the Software forum, and it was moved here. Are you suggesting that I re-post my question again on Software? And then link both my "new" message and this one that was moved to Excel to each other?

We do have online services here that will provide a map for a specific address; however, I'm attempting to create a printed directory, as only 1/2 of our members have internet access.

Thanks for your suggestions,
    Samantha