f.scheele

Dual Operating Systems

I am running Windows 98 (not SR2) and have bought Windows ME but not installed it.

I am concerned that I cannot exit to DOS with ME (start/shutdown/restart in MS DOS mode), because I still have useful MSDOS programmes that will not necessarily operate even in a DOS window under Windows. (One is a proprietary programme for which there is no current intention to convert it to Windows.) If I try I end up with the PC not responding and have to uninstall and reinstall the programme.

I have heard that Linux systems allow the installation of alternative operating systems by means of having such alternatives installed on a separate partition of the hard disc.

I was wondering whether this might be feasible with the choice being either MSDOS or Windows ME. Ideally I would want a dialogue on start-up giving me the option of whether to start one or the other of these.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Dual Operating Systems

If you have NOT opened the package, take it back and apply this cost to a copy of Windows 2000. You will be better off, if your machine and software will work with Windows 2000.
    Don't get me wrong, I have 2 machines running Windows Me, and one dual boot Windows 98 FE and Windows 2000. I think that 2000 is a much better product.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

jpaterson

I am running Win 98SE and Win ME on separate partitions on a PIII laptop. The original installation was Windows ME with the entire drive, 20 GByte, as drive C. I used Partition Magic (and Boot Magic, which comes with it) to create a second primary partition and an extended partition. I installed Win 98 SE on the second primary partition. Also install most programs and keep data on extended partition, D:. Now I can boot either to ME, or 98SE. In both cases the system sees C: and D:. No matter which operating system I boot into, I can see all data files on the D: drive and can run the programs there. I get the ready access to DOS available from Win 98, but most of the time I get what I think is a better interface with Win ME. I have not had any problems with this setup since I made the changes about two weeks ago.

I guess I should add that each operating system can see only its own primary partition; therefore, even though the hard drive has three partitions, each operating system only sees two partitions, the second (D being common to both operating systems. Works great!!

f.scheele

Thanks for the advice Dave. My PC at home has both business and personal uses. I have certainly had mixed messages about Windows ME. I would have preferred to install Windows 98 SR2 but I was too late: it had been withdrawn from the market and I was stuck with ME. But ME's marketing mentions that it suits the home user's interests: particularly in my case, I want to get into editing photos. I would not be using it for high-memory games. What worries me is that I only have 64 Mb of RAM and 6 Gb of hard disc space.

I have also heard that Windows 2000 is more stable but not much advanced on NT, and so is not that suitable for home uses. And that it really needs 128 Mb of RAM. It sounds like I should be aiming at partitioning with both 2000 and ME installed, but my hard disc may be too small. What do you think?

f.scheele

Thanks for your response, J. I have a relatively small hard drive (6 Gb)on a Pentium II. Would this be a problem? Also, does Partition Magic /Boot Magic facilitate what I am trying to achieve: i.e., give me a startup dialogue allowing me to choose either O.S? Thanks again!

jpaterson

1. A larger hard drive would be better, but your 6 Gig hard drive would probably be OK. Large drives are not very expensive any more, though. A larger problem might be the 64 megs of RAM. I'm not sure of this, have only used ME with 128. Once again, right now RAM is pretty cheap!
    2. Boot Magic WILL provide a startup dialogue allowing you to choose your operating system.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree with jpaterson. Make yourself a plan, like, increase memory and split you hard drive into 2, 3 gig partitions. If you start running low on disk space get another hard drive, 12+ gigs, and partition this also, with about 4 gig partitions. This should do it.You could leave the OS's on the old drive and move all programs and data to the new drive. Just remember that when the first drive is partitioned, you will have drive c and d. But when you add another hard drive, the first partotion of the NEW drive will be come "D" and the old d will now be "E".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

jpaterson

Actually on start up Windows will not recognize the primary partion of the other operating system, so if the two operating systems are on partions on the 1st hard disk and the data and program files are on various extended partitions on the 2nd hard disk, Windows will only see its own primary partition as C:, and the partitions on thw 2nd drive as D:, E:, F:, etc. This would make each system see C,D,E,F and D,E and F would be physically and logically the same when booting with either operating system.