3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto with Batch Files

For anyone who likes to automate tasks and still uses the good old DOS batch files, I've found a great little freeware programme called Batchrun at this site.
    Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto with Batch Files

Hi Peter:
    Thanks for the site. Out of curiosity, do you know if batch files still work in Win XP (I'm still using Win 98)?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

This afternoon I copied a DOS bat file from a W2K system to one running XP Pro and executed it. It never occurred to me that it might be a problem.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart:
    I'm not saying it is a problem. I just remember that Win XP was advertised as having no underlying DOS. I never learned how to operate in a DOS environment as my first computer had Win 3.1, but I really like the few batch files that I have.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

I'm not sure of what I'm talking about here, so take this with a pinch of salt...
    <UL><LI>Windows 3.x and Windows 95 needed DOS to run. The underlying DOS software was loaded first and provided system calls for windows to use.
    <LI>Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not need DOS to run. The Windows software directly controls all the hardware. They do provide a "DOS like" environment, but this needs Windows to be able to run and doesn't directly control the hardware.[/list]StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil
    Afraid I'm on W2K so can't tell yo about XP. DOS batch files do work on 2K tho and Batchrun just makes it alittle easier to link them and connect several instructions particularly in task scheduler.
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not to put too fine a point on it, but one shouldn't confuse a command prompt with DOS. DOS used a command line interface, but the fact that Windows NT/2K/XP provide a command prompt doesn't mean they use DOS (confused yet?). I still think that the command prompt (DOS or not) is so much better at some things; I hope M$ never builds a totally command-prompt-free Windows.

Long Live C:> !