Star Lounger
    Thanks

ie6 making noises (6.0.2800.1106CO)

Hi All,
    I just upgraded from ie 6 to 6 sp1. Now I get screeching noises out of my speakers when randomly when I browse the internet. I uninstalled and went back to ie 5.5. It worked but I was having problems with 5.5. I reinstalled ie 6 and the screeching noises are back.

Any suggestions?

John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ie6 making noises (6.0.2800.1106CO)

Hi John--
    You may have already--but go to the Control Panel applet for your Sound Card and also the applet for Volume and double-check where the volume levers are, that the number of speakers conforms to your set up, and that the balance isn't lopsided one way or the other. Sometimes a number of factors can impact these settings and cause noises. Are you hearing any music at all when you play a music player, or a CD and are the screeching noises coming out of every speaker? Also hit Windows+Pause Break and check the driver and its files for your sound card in Device Manager. I understand this may have been the first thing you did. Finally unplug your speaker connections from the PC for a minute and replug them, and if they aren't USB with the PC shut down.

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm not sure if it matters but I'm running NT 4 sp6. The sound card is built in and the settings seem to be ok. Once the modemlike sounds stop, my media players seem to become inoperative. Windows media player 6.4 trys to run for 7 seconds and Winamp 3 doesn't run at all. If I reboot, then they work fine. Matter of fact, I rebooted, played a song on Winamp, got an email saying you replied, viewed your message, then clicked reply on the browser. As soon as I did that, the screeching started. The song I was listening to was done. But the screeching did happen while I was playing a CD the other day.

I didn't have this problem with ie 6.0. Is there some kind of media file that ie 6 sp1 installs?

John

New Lounger
    Thanks

First, I'm assuming you installed a custom build of IE 6.0 based on the CO at the end of your version number. That usually means someone designated as a Corporate Administrator threw together a custom IE build using the IEAK for IE 6.0 SP1. Whoever did this may have selected that Media Player components install as part of the main IE install. If that's the case then you most likely got some updates to Media Player 6.4. The main mplayer2.exe included with IE6.0 SP1 is version 6.4.7.1121.

I can't say specifically why that would cause the screeching sound you're hearing, but you may want to at least verify with the person you go the install from what options were selected. You might also want to check for updated device drivers for your soundcard. It never hurts to keep those updated!

Oh, and one last thing. If you have sounds or themes enabled that provide audio feedback when you click on buttons or move windows around, you may want to disable those for the time being and see if that helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got the setup file from the MS download site. I might have gotten the original from a corporate guy. Is there any place I can get IE 6.0 without sp1? That version seemed to work.

John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John--
    Download for IE6 Without SP1
    I'd like to know what happens and if you fix this. This may be beyond me--but you could always try a different WMP including 9 which doesn't act much like a Microsoft Beta and uninstalling the codecs and reinstalling them sometimes helps. FWIW I have a fix that works with a lot of broken WMP8's but I'm not sure whether it's the player, the browser or other components.

Good luck,

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I think it's fixed. I had my IS guy reinstall the my sound card drivers and so far so good.

John