Thread: symbols

Alifa

symbols

I'm using Word 2000 in a Hebrew/English version.
    On the insert:symbol chart one finds the Hebrew alphabet and also symbols for the diacritical marks used when vowels are inserted in Hebrew.

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to combine these two symbols in order to get the vowel signs to sit underneath or at the side or above the Hebrew letters.

Another problem is that I sometimes need to insert a dot under an English letter to indicate that it's a transliteration of a Hebrew letter not found in English.

Word Perfect had an "overprint" function that allowed you to instruct the printer to combine two letters or signs. Is there any way to do this with Word?

Thanks.
    Alifa Saadya
    Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: symbols

This post might help you:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=18971>http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.p...rd&Number=18971</A>

I'm still new at doing these link-things. The thread is in this forum with a subject line of "Inserting European Numbers"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think the approach used at the Inserting European Numbers would be of use here as that approach over types each character with the succeeding one.

However the following url may be of use :

<big><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hebrewresources.com>http://www.hebrewresources.com</A></big>

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:

Here's how you do it (post a link to a thread where you want the text to say one thing & the link to point to the right place):

1. Go to the target message & copy the URL from the address box.

2. Go back to your reply & click on the "Tag Panel".

3. When you get to the spot in your message where you want to put the link, click the 2nd globe button (the one that has a '2' in it). This will put the following in you r message:

(url=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=18971)Inserting European Numbers(/url) where I replaced the brackets with parenthesis above.

4. Select the word "link" & paste your link. Select the word "description" & type or paste what you want, e.g. "Inserting European Numbers". That's it.

It will then look like this:

(url=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=18971)descriptio n(/url)

which, if I kept the brackets would be this:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=18971>Inserting European Numbers</A>

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Are you using WOPR 2000? I don't know if its Symbol tools would help or not.

Most diacritical marks on the keyboard are set to be dead keys that change the effect of the following key when pressed with Ctrl. If they are not, you can set them to do this using Tools => Customize => Keyboard (button).

What I mean is that you press Ctrl+' and then your character to get an accented character, . In Spanish Ctrl+~ followed by an n will give the Spanish character.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

I hate to correct you Charles [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img], but I think it's

Ctr+Shft+~

A nice clear list appears <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stmarks.pvt.k12.tx.us/resources/howtype.htm>here</A>. I'm glad you reminded about that shortcut, though, it's something I always forget about. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The other posts on this thread give some good advice on overprinting with the EQ o field and the list of symbols that can be achieved using CTRL+whatever.

However, I use another approach that is more general but a bit of work. That uses the ADVANCE field. This field allows you to move the insertion point left, right, up, down, etc. (see the switches when you Insert | Field). You move in units of points. For example, a switch of u7 would move the insertion point up 7 points above the current base line of type (a point is 1/72 of an inch).

A few suggestions when using this approach:
    - try working on a "character" (defined here as the combination of symbols plus the ADVANCE fields) in a separate document by itself
    - increase the zoom so it's easier to see what you're doing
    - make sure that you include the compensating motions. For example, if you move the insertion point left and down, you have to move it back right and up. Unfortunately, the compensating motions are not equal to the original motions. For example, if you moved left 7 points to get a symbol under a letter, then that symbol took up space and you don't just move right 7 points. However, the up/down compensating motions are probably the same.
    - when all is said and done, save the entire creation as an autotext entry or an autocorrect entry so it can be used elsewhere. You definitely don't want to have to do this twice for the same combination.

I always thought about trying to create a library of such creations but there were 2 obstacles to this:
    - time
    - no need

Have fun. Curious to know how you make out.

Fred

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a simple set of instructions in Hebrew how to get the "vowels" where you want them, with a coded table for each of the vowel symbols. Since this is not of use to the group, email me (ofra@jdc.org.il) if it's still relevant and I'll send it to you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

ofrashi,

It might not be of help to most of the group, but to put that response on the board may well mean that there's somebody else who could benefit from the answer.

I'd encourage you to put the answer up publicly.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with you and I certainly did not wish to offend or keep information from the group. I have found it helpful many times in the past and am grateful to all of you for sharing your knowledge.

However, as I mentioned in my post, the document attachment is in Hebrew. It holds no "tricks" that can be used for other purposes - it is just a built-in feature of the Hebrew version of Word. I figured that such an attachment where people will get garbage (or text in a language they can't read) will cause more upset than benefit.

If you think my reasoning is incorrect, I will gladly post the Hebrew attachment. (And if my reasoning was correct in this case, needless to say that anyone able to read Hebrew right-to-left and wishing to receive a copy of it is welcome to contact me as well)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

ofrashai,

OK, sounds fair. I hadn't realised that the instructions were, in fact, in Hebrew (I didn't read your post properly!). At a guess, anybody would need Hebrew fonts installed just to work out the letters, let alone what they meant.

You're on record with the email address. So thanks for the help.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.