Thread: Fields (2000)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fields (2000)

I have a department who are converting letters/contracts from word perfect 8 with keyboard stops to word 2000 templates. This keyboard stop in word perfect allows them to delete chunks of text of it isn't required for that contract or enter text at other stops if it is. To make matters more complicated some of the paragraphs are numbered others aren't.

I have tried using Word forms in place of keyboard stops, which works on the form fields to be entered but not for the parts to be deleted.

As fussy wordperfect users/word haters they need to have the form protected to get the fields to work by using the keyboard and not the mouse.

Can I get a field to delete, not leave a gap and renumber the paragraphs if necesary. Or can I create autotext to be inserted at field stops? I have tried but can't get it to work.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fields (2000)

I'm not familiar with "keyboard stops". However, it sounds like you're looking for a field that
    1. Will be replaced by typed text,
    2. Is accessible from the keyboard,
    3. Can be deleted completely, &
    4. Can be used without protecting the document.

Use the macrobutton field, which has the syntax of
    {macrobutton nomacro "display text"}

You can cycle through the fields with F11 or Shift+F11.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I too don't know what a keyboard stops is. I am guessing that it would be analogous to a bookmarked region of text that the user can goto and select at the click of the mouse or keyboard command.

You can use a macro to jump to specific bookmarks in the document when it is not Form Protected but I don't know whether it is so easy to code a macro to jump to the next bookmark.

Have you investigated the browse by options (little circle button in the bottom of the vertical scroll bar) or the GoTo options in the Edit menu?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

I have tried the macrofield button. Its a whole new world and It might be really useful. however, Shift F11 doesn't cycle backwards. When I type on the field it gets over written. Any ideas? (Overtype isn't on)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, it might be very handy. The problem will be just a quick keyboard macro to take them to the next bookmark. If you have any ideas then lt me know.

Michelle

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure why Shift+F11 isn't working for you. By default, it is assigned to the PrevField command. See <post#=127986>post 127986</post#> to check key assignments. Is the document protected? It shouldn't be for macrobutton fields. And, yes, typing will delete the field. It's only used as a placemarker, so you don't need the field to remain. As I understood your original post, you wanted a way to delete the field if nothing was entered.
    Cheers,