Thread: format text box

johnrose2

format text box

How do I change the default format on inserting a text box so that it's what I want and not what Bill Gates thinks I should have, eg transparent, no line, no wrap, don't flow with text or other parameters? I use Word 97 SR2
    Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: format text box

Insert a text box and change attributes as required.
    Go to Drawing toolbar and click on Draw - then Set Autoshape Defaults.
    Help says this applies only to the current document.
    However, I posit that, if you open Normal.dot and set text box attributes there, it then ought to apply to all documents opened using normal.dot. Yes/no?
    (I'm not trying this out for you as I am now living with green text boxes with red borders, and I need to reset 'em back to Bill's chosen options first!)

Brian
    Silverback

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you set up your text the way you want you can select the text box, Then right click and you have the option to set the AutoShape Default.

But Bill is not making it that easy as that default applies only to the current document. You need to either create a new Template or make changes to your Normal.dot.

Maybe somebody else has found a better way.

Andrew C

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you do not want play around with templates, you could always record a Macro whilst you create the Text Box the way you want it.

You could the assign it to a button on your toolbar any time you wanted a terxt Box just click and go. However depending on the amount of formatting you do you might get a lot of flashing as the box is created. You could help reduced that by editing the macro and inserting, just after Sub TextBox() or whatever you called it, the following code : Application.ScreenUpdating = False. This should help, but I have not tried it. If you do that you must also insert Application.ScreenUpdating = True just before the End Sub statement.

Andrew C

BAM

Hi John,

Another suggestion would be to create an AutoText entry for your default text box.

Note that to insert it you may need to type the name for the AutoText entry and press <F3> to insert it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

>>(I'm not trying this out for you [changing normal.dot] as I am now living with green text boxes with red borders, and I need to reset 'em back to Bill's chosen options first!)<<

Hi Brian:

I've had that feeling myself sometimes (being afraid to make a change that would screw things up) & I thought I'd let you know a good option for dealing with it. Before you experiment with styles, macros, or any default settings, do one of two things:
    1. Start by making a backup of normal.dot (say normalold.dot. That way, if you screw up (if my case it's when I screw up), just close Word, delete normal.dot & rename normalold to normal. Then everythings back to er, uh, normal.

2. Start Word from the command line (Start/Run) as "winword.exe /a" (no quotes). You get factory fresh settings & a temporary normal.dot. When you close, none of the normal.dot changes stick. One thing, you have to go back & turn off Office Assistant (if you want to) & change the toolbar option back to not sharing the same line.

Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil - Thank you
    I know there's a debate raging on the Lounge Matters forum about whether to say thanks or not, but the great thing for me about the lounge is the willingness of people to help other people advance their knowledge. By posting those tips to me in the thread, rather than sending a private mail, everybody gets to see them - and who knows how many other people will, like me, benefit from them?
    They are definitely going into my 'remember this' folder!
    Thanks again
    Silverback