3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SFC after SP1 (WinXPP SP1)

Is there a trick to using SFC after installing SP1? From the Release Notes, I would have thought it should work fine, but......

Just wondering.

--Bob
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SFC after SP1 (WinXPP SP1)

Bob--
    Could find nothing going on with SP1 and SFC in searches. What's happening when you try to use SFC?

defrag

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi defrag,
    I had tried removing some Windows components earlier and had concerns that perhaps some tiles may have become messed up. So I tried running SFC /scannow from the Command Prompt. I have SP1 on this box.

I keep getting a message that the WinXP Pro CD ROM needs to be inserted in the drive so that the dllcache can be repopulated... However, many or most of those files are now out of the picture, I would think, because of SP1. I suppose I could put the CD in the drive except I'm wondering if that might really mess up the system....expecially after SP1

In fact the system seems to be working well and doing all that it is supposed to do without problem. This is more of a curiosity question than anything else. I would have thought that since XP is setup so that SP1 doesn't have to be reinstalled after various system changes, that the cache files looked at by SFC would have been updated also. That, however, does not appear to be the case; they all have the orginal date of XP.

--Bob
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob--I believe DLLcache files were updated for XP SP1. According to Microsoft, there are 317 fixes and corresponding KB's. The prompt for CD you were getting when you run SFC is not infrequent--and that is fixed within the MFC if you have XP pro. Not sure where it's changed, if you have HOME and get the prompt. It's covered in the KB--here.

defrag