New Lounger
    Thanks

Wont let some users log on (Access 2000)

I am trying to implement a new database on a network. Access will let me log into the database using the user names and passwords I created when I ran the user level security wizard. When I try to log on with the same user names and passwords on any other computer other than mine it says unrecognized user or password. Has anyone run into this problem before. I am having a hard time finding any info on security. Is there a good source to go to for help on security problems.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wont let some users log on (Access 2000)

It sounds like you're not referencing the MDW file from the other computers.

The first computer you're working with has the MDW file (associated with the secure database you're working with) set as its current workgroup file. The other computers do not have access to the same MDW file, which is necessary in order to use a secured database. You can use the Access Workgroup Administrator (...Office1033WRKGADM.EXE) to create and join workgroup files. However, it is not a good idea to have your other users join this specific workgroup because it will apply to ALL databases they open on their machines.

The best thing to do is to place the MDW file in a shared location on the network and create a shortcut for each user that has the following syntax:
    "Access EXE" "Database" /WRKGRP "MDW File"
    An example would be:
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" "SharedFolderDatabase.MDB" /WRKGRP "SharedFolderSecured.MDW"

(Substitute your respective paths and filenames)
    For more information, consult the Access helpfiles
    Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks

You said it wasn't a good idea to use the Access Workgroup Administrator to join work groups because it applies to all databases they open. Is this just all current databases or all future databases?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All databases that they open until Workgroup Administrator is used to designate another workgroup. In other words, Workgroup Administrator sets which workgroup is the default. The /wrkgrp option over-rides the default.