3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DoCmd.Domenuitem (97)

I have a subform displaying a set of records from a combo box that run off of about 20 separate queries.

I have added a button with this behind it. :- DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 10, , acMenuVer70
    Which basically gives me a search box, after setting the focus to the subform.
    One problem with this , is that several options seem to be already set for this 'find' box, ie: it defaults to 'Match Whole field' and the bottom check box.

The fields dsiplayed are set out like this: GB-001/TG/003.S55 (number field) How to make sausage pie (text field)

What i really want to do, for the search criteria.. is to display ALL records with the search string.

I presume i could write a query . and tie the criteria of the query into a text box using 'Like' [textbox] ?

Or is there an easier/better way ?

Regards

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DoCmd.Domenuitem (97)

In the first place, DoMenuItem is a leftover from older versions of Access. It's better to use RunCommand to run menu items in code. In this case:
    RunCommand acCmdFind. You may find the thread starting at <post#=144175>post 144175</post#> useful if you want to know more about setting options for finding.

But from your description, I guess you want to filter records instead of finding them. The built-in methods (Selection Filter, Form Filter and Advanced Filter) provide a good range of filtering options, from simple to advanced. If you want to use a textbox, you can set the filter of the (sub) form:

<font face="Georgia">MySubForm.Form.Filter = "FieldName Like " & Chr(34) & [TextBox] & "*" & Chr(34)
    MySubForm.Form.FilterOn = True</font face=georgia>

Chr(34) is a quote; the text to be filtered must be enclosed in quotes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans , I tried this and got a error 13, type mismatch error. I tried all the combinations i could think of also..

i was using :-

Doc_Library_Subform.Form.Filter = "Document Link Like " & " & [Search_Box] & "*" & "

The 'Fieldname is two words' does this matter? its the text of a hyperlink field.

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just using a " instead of Chr(34) won't work. And you must enclose field names that contain spaces in square brackets. Replace

Doc_Library_Subform.Form.Filter = "Document Link Like " & " & [Search_Box] & "*" & "

by

Doc_Library_Subform.Form.Filter = "[Document Link] Like " & Chr(34) & [Search_Box] & "*" & Chr(34)