New Lounger
    Thanks

Variable form record sources (2002)

I would like to create a form that can access the same fields from variable record sources.

Is there any way to do this, without having to create forms for each table I would like to reference.

I need the user to be able to update the information in the form, so I have found that trying to join all of my tables together doesn't work.

I have attempted to play with creating an event procedure, on open, based upon recommendations in postings that I found that seemed similar (but referred to subreports instead of forms or subforms), but I'm a novice at the code and I can't seem to get it right.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Variable form record sources (2002)

You will need a form which selects the appropriate table. Then on that form put a button which opens the main form and sets its RecordSource property to the selected table.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I'm still having trouble.

I have set up the forms as you suggested and I have tried different combinations of macros and select statements to set the RecordSource property to the selected table, but I either get an error message or my form does shows with all errors. How do I set its RecordSource property to use the value I select from table selection form.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Assume the combobox from which you select the table is on frmStartForm and is called cboSelectTable
    frmStartForm also has a button called btnGo
    Assume the form you want to display is called frmMainForm

the code for the click event of btnGo would be like this

Sub btnGo_Click()
    DoCmd.OpenForm frmMainForm
    Forms!frmMainForm.RecordSource=Forms!frmStartForm. cboSelectTable
    Forms!frmStartForm.SetFocus
    EndSub

I haven't tried this as I am on the wrong computer at the moment but it should do what you want.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. It worked great!

New Lounger
    Thanks

As I said in my last note, this worked great! But what if I want to filter the recordsource. How do I add that? For example, I only want to select records from the table that have a name that is not null. If I use the where condition in the DoCmd.Open form it seems to be overwritten when the RecordSource is changed.

Thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is no use setting a filter in DoCmd.OpenForm in this case, because - as you found out - changing the RecordSource of the form undoes the filter. There are two possible solutions:

1. Set the RecordSource to an SQL statement that filters the table. In the following, replace MyField by the name of the field that must not be null:
    Forms!frmMainForm.RecordSource="SELECT * FROM " & Forms!frmStartForm.cboSelectTable & " WHERE MyField Is Not Null"

2. Set the RecordSource to the selected table, and then set a filter. Again, replace MyField by the name of the field that must not be null:
    Forms!frmMainForm.RecordSource=Forms!frmStartForm. cboSelectTable
    Forms!frmMainForm.Filter = "MyField Is Not Null"
    Forms!frmMainForm.FilterOn = True

In both cases, "MyField Is Not Null" can be replaced by more complicated WHERE-conditions if desired.