3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroups (Access 2000)

Help! I know how to secure my database file, how to create and apply a customized workgroup file with Admin user removed from Admin group access etc. This all works well except that I want to make sure that whoever opens my database also uses my workgroup and not the System.mdw. Is this possible? Surely you would not go all this way with security and then not be able to say that you must use (join) my workgroup to use this database? I tried using the command line switch /wrkgrp but may have got it all wrong because nothing happened. Did I say "Help" yet? Help Help Help!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroups (Access 2000)

You must put the secured .mdw file on the network and make sure that everyone uses this workgroup file. The easiest way to do this is to create a shortcut with a target that looks like this:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSAccess.exe" "PatabaseMyDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "PatabaseMyWrkgrp.mdw"

Replace the path and name of the database and of the workgroup file by the appropriate values for your situation, and also provide the correct path to MSAccess.exe. Give every user a copy of this shortcut.

If you followed Microsoft's instructions for securing a database, you have taken the Admin user out of the Admins group, and revoked most rights from the Admin user. If somebody opens the database directly (and thus implicitly using System.mdw), that person is logged in as Admin, and so won't be able to mess up things.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroups (Access 2000)

The command line to open database should look something like this:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10MSACCESS.EXE" "C:ACCESSMYAPP.MDB" /wrkgrp "C:ACCESSMYAPP.mdw" /user "USERNAME"

If your database was properly secured you should NOT be able to open it using the default System.mdw workgroup file. You would get a message similar to that shown in the attached illustration if you tried to open database by double-clicking file in Windows Explorer or from Access "Open..." dialog. Any users of database should use shortcut with command line like that shown above in the "Target" box. If database can be opened w/o using the workgroup file used to secure db, then it was not properly secured.

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images