Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Filter (2000)

I have a grade book with offenders names DOC number and Housing unit I have made a copy of this worksheet for the same amount of housing units so I then went to apply an auto filter to the housing unit column and it is greyed out, but advanced filter is not. If I clear all the data in the sheet the auto filter is an option again?????WHY....I want a sheet to display just the rows where the housing unit matches the criteria. is there an easier way or what is going on? Thanks in advance for any help

Trent,
    Indiana Dept. of Corrections

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Filter (2000)

Make sure the the sheet and the workbook is unprotected (Tools | Protection...).
    Make sure that Objects are not hidden (Tools | Options | View Tab | Objects Section)
    HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Now what can I do about updating these sheets if the offender changes housing units. I tried it and it does not update itself. Is there a way to have this do it automatically?

Thanks again

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, and have this update after the sheet is protected

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well, the only answer that I can think of is to buy Office 2002. In 2002, when you protect a sheet you can still allow the user to do an autofilter. Aside from that, I guess you would have to write a change event for all of the sheets that affect the table and in the change event, unprotect the sheet, refilter, and reprotect. Very ugly! --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found, with sheet design, you could usually get away with using a sheet activate event rather than a change event.
    For instance, I use this technique to 'auto-update' all pivot tables as users go to view them.

I suggest that so long as the filter is another sheet, an activate event is fairly clean and tidy - unprotect, refresh filter, protect

Andrew Ollivier