2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sharing office applications

I have several users that I would like to set up to share the same outlook .pst file (not in concurrent sessions). How would I go about setting my PC with only one main .pst file in order to avoid replicating the file which is fairly substantial (nearing 1 GB in size).

Thanks

Re: sharing office applications

I think this is simply a matter of moving the .pst file (and any other shared files) to a common folder rather than having it buried within one user's "Documents and Settings". As each user starts their setup, you point Outlook to this common folder.

As I also think this is more an Outlook issue than strictly W2K, I'm going to move this thread to the Outlook forum for others to comment.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sharing office applications

PST files are not enabled for multi-user access. You can put it in a common location. But (a BIG but) you'll have to train your users to close the file as soon as they are done accessing it. Otherwise, other users who try to open it will get an error message. There is nothing to indicate who has the pst opened, so you have to run them down in person. If your office uses Exchange then public folders is a much better solution.

As an aside, 1GB is huge for a pst file. You should consider breaking it up into separate files, or you're asking for trouble.