Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open a form using a button (2000/SR-1)

Again, something so simple yet so aggrevating.

I have two related tables: tblContacts and tblMeetingData. I have set their relationship on ContactID, an Autonumber, primary key value in tblContacts. I have a foreign key, also called ContactID, in tblMeetingData. I have set them to provide referential integrity.

I then created two forms, one linked to tblContacts and one linked to tblMeetingData. I placed a button on the Contacts form, using the wizard, and have it open the Meeting Data form. I have specified that only with records matching ContactID fields are to be shown.

Everthing looks fine except when I try to add a record. I enter data into the Meeting Data form and receive the following message:

"You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table tblContacts."

Now, if I manually add a record in tblMeetingData not using the form, then open the Meeting Data form, it shows up just fine. It appears that tblMeetingData.ContactID is not being initialized with valid contant. If I remove referential integrity, tblMeetingData.ContactID gets set to 0.

Here is the code I use to open the Meeting Data form:

Private Sub cmdMeetings_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_cmdMeetings_Click

Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "frmMeetingData"

stLinkCriteria = "[ContactID]=" & Str(ContactID)
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_cmdMeetings_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdMeetings_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdMeetings_Click

End Sub

When I check properties in the Meeting Data form after running this code, the Filter property is set to "ContactID = 11" (assuming I pressed the button while viewing record 11).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Am I supposed to initialize ContactID in code? I thought this happened automatically when a new record was created. If not, where do I do this?

Thanks.
    Will

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open a form using a button (2000/SR-1)

You need to add code to the BeforeInsert event of frmMeetingData to set the value of ContactID to the value selected in frmContacts. For example:

Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer)
    If IsFormLoaded("frmContacts") Then Me.ContactID = Forms!frmContacts!ContactID
    End Sub

(substitute correct names if necessary)

IsFormLoaded is a utility function that returns True if the specified form is open in Form or Datasheet mode. You can place this function in a standard module so that it is available for use in all code in your database:

Function IsFormLoaded(ByVal strName As String) As Boolean
    If SysCmd(acSysCmdGetObjectState, acForm, strName) Then IsFormLoaded = Forms(strName).CurrentView
    End Function

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open a form using a button (2000/SR-1)

Oh, thank you, thank you. It's good to know you people are here. I'd be kicking myself and reconsidering if it was worth the effort otherwise.