New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 Run Time

Here's what I believe will be a simple question for anyone experienced in working with the same Access db distributed to a large number of people.

I work in an all MS environment with everyone having MS Off Pro loaded on the local hard drive. We are looking at deploying an Access 97 db to the local hard drive a large number of persons, but we don't want them opening up any of the objects. We're looking into using run time version of Access 97 but don't know if this is the way to go.

I've learned from the MS site that I must purchase the MS Office 97, Developer's Edition to have the Access 97 Run Time.

My question is: how does Access 97 Run time version run on the same machine that has Access 97 Retail version on it? How to I make sure that the Run Time version is selected instead of Retail version when the database is opened? (Just by creating a shortcut to the db specifying the Access run time as the program? This leads smarter people to bypass the short cut and open the database itself.)

Does Access Run time version "compile" the database so the end user can't get to it?

Do I just need to get into Access and remove the menu bars, F11, etc. from this db? I've tried this before but came up with problems when the menus didn't reappear when a different database was opened.

Any advice is appreciated.

kparis

Mike B

Re: Access 97 Run Time

HI ....if all your desktops have Access 97 on them, I would create an mde file of the front end with the backend residing on the server....make sure to disable the Shift open option....people would still be able to get to the tables on the server if they wanted to but would have no way of opening any forms, reports, or modules....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or, read the MS Security FAQ <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/access/content/secfaq.asp>here</A>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When you start the database you need to supply the /runtime flag (ie. start it via a menu item or via a desktop shortcut).
    I would recommend that you convert the mdb into an mde. The mde file should be smaller and load/respond faster as well as preventing the users modifying forms, reports and code.

Access can't 'compile' a database to anything like an exe file. You do require a version of Access to be installed to open forms/reports in an access database.