Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro Start Menu (SP1)

On my workstation, I can right click any item in the Start | All Programs menu list and cut, paste or delete it. Or, I can left click and drag an item to another location or folder in the Start Menu. On my Thinkpad with the same XP Pro SP1, I cannot do either. No drag and drop, no cut, paste or delete. Also there are leftover programs that no longer exist that I cannot delete. They are not listed when I go to Advanced and use explorer to find and delete them. I can find no option, in either XP or Classic properties, to enable the features on the ThinkPad that I have on my workstation. How can I fix this?

Jim

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro Start Menu (SP1)

Are you logged in with administrative rights? Or are you logging in to a domain where Group Policies (GPO's) are applied with a login script?
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

I log into my workgroup (home-based business network) as an administrator from any computer on the system. No domain.

Jim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can you manage shortcuts by opening Internet Explorer and navigating to folders Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuPrograms and/or Cocuments and Settings<your username>Start MenuPrograms ?

Thanks

Hi Jim,

It's not clear to me what you mean by <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">I can find no option, in either XP or Classic properties, to enable the features...</span hi> but you may want to check this:

Right click your Start button and select Properties
    On the Start Menu tab click Customize
    On the Advanced tab see if the entry "Enable dragging and dropping" is checked

This work for you?

I'm not sure about cutting and pasting, though. I didn't even know this was possible.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, in both cases. I log on with password as a member of the administrator group, but my Start Menu | All Programs are those listed for All Users. The menus for my username are very different when viewed as you suggested, but do not display.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

I have two Start Menu Settings - the open submenus with mouse pause and the highlight newly installed programs (I'm paraphrasing). The Start Menu Items below the settings do not have any drag and drop option to check or uncheck. Switching to the Classic menu does not help, either.

Jim

Thanks

This may be getting beyond my capabilities, Jim. You're looking in the right place, but not finding the same options (see attachment). Are the results the same on both your Systems?

Can anyone else jump in here?
    Regards,
    PaulB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

Here's my version on the ThinkPad - strange! My workstation is the same as yours.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim and Paul--
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    I can right click any item in the Start | All Programs menu list and cut, paste or delete it. Or, I can left click and drag an item to another location or folder in the Start Menu
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I would have thought that as far as the "drag and drop" you could get it done on the advanced tab where Paul has pointed. An additional place where this is impacted is the Group Policy Editor which is after all a GUI interface for Registry settings. If you put gpedit.msc in the run box, and under User Configuration/Windows Settings/Start Menu and Task Bar/highlight and Rt. Click and you'll see in the menu list "Remove Drag and Drop Context Menus" and the explanation is "If you disable this setting or do not configure it, users can remove or reorder Start menu items by dragging and dropping the item."
    Going here may help. I didn't see anything on the list that referenced the "cut/paste/delete" function though. Take a look. I'm still puzzled though why you can't get the drag and drop functionality done on the Advanced Properties tab Paul took a screen shot of.
    I see this box missing from your picture, and I don't know why. Of course you can hack the registry to configure the start menu and your answer may be in doing that. I am looking at them now--their are three XP Registry books that have them, including Jerry Honeycutt's Windows XP Registry Guide pp. 105-106, but there are a number of people on this lounge who are adept at describing registry hacks and do it all the time and I'm not one.
    I also checked Doug Knox's XP Tweaks and Kelly's Korner, Tweak UI 1.33 and
    Tweak UI XP and didn't see anything to help. I'll keep lookin'. But right now, I think your answer may be in the registry if Group Policy Editor can't help.

defrag

Thanks

Stranger and stranger....

defrag, I can't find the GP key you referred to in your post (see attachment).

Jim, did you install XP on the problem machine yourself, or is this a vendor install? If it's the latter, could the vendor have customized the install? If that is the case, you may have to contact vendor support.

cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag,

I ran gpedit.msc on the ThinkPad and found the drag and drop setting under Administrative Templates. It was listed as "Not configured" so I should see it under Properties | Advanced by default. I can think of only one thing that may have caused this - I tried Tweak XP Pro for a few days, letting it run some wizards. I decided against keeping it, however, and I'm wondering if it did something in the registry that I do not know about. Another problem discivered this am is that Help Support is not working. It is on the menu, but clicking produces drive activitiy and a return to the desktop. Who knows if all this is related.

Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

The ThinkPad came pre-configured with XP Pro. I've since added SP1. BTW, my claim of cut and paste was wrong. That does not work on any of my computers - while the old memory banks are forgetful, they sure are inventive.

Jim

Thanks

Jim,

It's not clear to me from your post if you actually tried to enable then disable the "drag and drop" entry in GPedit. Beyond that, I think a call to IBM support may be in order.

As for your "forgetfulness"... you're not alone. I came across your post as a result of searching for the solution to the wrong problem. And as chance would have it (is this a small world, or what?) defrag came up with right solution!

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jim and Paul--
    1) The Help/Support not working--have seen this issue before and will look for it. Related? I dunno. There are ways to get it back--check Doug Knox's, Bob Corelli's, and Kelly Thierot's sites--they may have something. I will later. A quick search of the KB didn't bring me an article to fix it. Here is a possible fix: Go to Doug Knox's site; Click on "Utility" on the left pane; then click on "Fix Windows XP help". This may do it.
    2) The group policy category/key is under Administrative Templates/Start Menu under Windows Components just a little further down in the tree.
    3) I looked everywhere for something that would apply in both Tweak UI 1.33 and Tweak UI XP but found nothing anywhere that would address this in either of them--I have them both. I more enjoy actually knowing what they do than use them all the time, but a lot of people really like them. I wish there were a Master Tweak UI that could control everything but I think that's called learning to use the registry well and to make batch files and scripts that do whatever you want, knowing a lot of executables to use in the run box, and commands at the command line.

I doubt that Tweak UI changed the registry to cause these things--but could never say never; it doesn't on its face seem to address them, but of course it does modify the registry so I'm sure that it could be possible.
    defrag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast