2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Frozen File (WXP - Office XP)

I have a file which I cannot open in Word. To be more precise, the file appears on the screen in Word, but the program is completely frozen. I *could* open it with Notepad, but the same thing [more or less] happened in attempting to open it with Wordpad and with Frontpage. It is the first time I have accessed the file in over a year, Norton shows no virus in it, and it is not marked as archive or anything else.

The only thing that works is creating a new file and *inserting* the old file into it. When I did there was a line of boxes at the end of the file.

Any ideas?

TIA,
    Michael

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Frozen File (WXP - Office XP)

You have a document that has somehow corrupted. This corruption could have occurred in any of a number of ways. Inserting it into a new file is the best thing you can do to get it open. You frequently see boxes replacing corrupt text characters in this kind of situation. How documents corrupt is a pretty involved subject and could take up quite a lot of space here, and I don't really have time at the moment to get started on it. A good source of information is www.microsystems.com.

I'm getting ready to write a column on document corruption for our user newsletter. I may post it here when I get it done.

Lee Morgan