Thanks

Search Anomaly (XPP-SP1)

While tracking down a Word 2000 issue, I came across some funny behavior in Start/Search/All files and folders. Normally, all my search results come back in details view. However, when I search for .dot files (MS Word template files), the results always come back in tiles view. If I reset the view to details and search for something.dot, I again get the results in tiles view. Has anyone experienced this, or can anyone duplicate this? I have no reason to believe this is SP1 related... nor can I say it isn't.

A perhaps related problem I've experienced pre- and post-SP1 is the problem of sizing the Search window. No matter how I size the window or set the column widths, it always returns to its original size when next I start a Search. Is this normal behavior or can it be modified?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Search Anomaly (XPP-SP1)

I have no problem with the details views.
    As for saving windows size, try using the menu, "File, Close" instead of using the red and white X in the corner. This should save you settings.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

It's not clear to me from your reply if you tried to duplicate a search for *.dot files???

As for your suggestion about the File/Close, I recall you suggesting that in response to another post, so I've already tried that without success.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Paul--
    This has worked for me whether it is a browser window or the search window. I changed my search window to full sized and it has stayed there since. I can make it any size I want.
    1) Manually stretch it where you want it.
    2) Close from the red <font color=red>"X"</font color=red> but hold down Ctrl when you close with your left hand.

It'll work.
    I'm not sure about the .dot--will have to read that again. Search is not perfect in XP--and that's a well known issue Redmond is hoping to fix by Longhorn.

defrag

Thanks

Hi defrag,
    I'll give this a try. Unfortunately I was mistaken about which window wouldn't stay re-sized. It was not the Search window... it was the Recycle Bin window. I'll apply your suggestion to it.

One question: am I right in assuming that I hold down the left Ctrl button?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

Hi defrag,

You were right. After setting the size of the Recycle Bin window the way I wanted, I closed it holding down the left Ctrl button, The size now "sticks", even after a re-boot.

Thanks,
    Regards,
    PaulB

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes--but it should work on the right too. Correct me if I'm wrong--the Ctrl button on both sides is a convenience not a difference.

Glad this is working for you. It has always for me. We had a thread back in Feb or March that took up two pages and for some reason the original poster said it would not work, but it always has for me and a number of other people .

defrag

Thanks

Hi defrag,

The reason I asked if it had to be the left Ctrl button is because of the phrasing of your instruction: "2) Close from the red "X" but hold down Ctrl when you close with your <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">left hand</span hi>." I also seem to recall (but can't put a finger on) that some multi-key combinations require a left only or right only choice. In any event, your advice worked. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB