New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Baseline Security Adviser (Windows XP + SP1)

I am using Microsoft security baseline adviser to perform security audits of settings etc. on my PC.

The first time I ran it, I was informed by the results that I needed to change my security settings for various (internet, local intranet, etc.) to custom settings. I duly went into IE and Outlook and reset the various regions to the suggested security levels. On completion of this I re-ran the security adviser but it picked up that the settings had not been changed. Is there some config step in IE and Outlook which disallows the use of custom site settings and thus blocks my attempts to change them? Or is this a Windows XP bug?

* Further - on rebooting the machine it informs me that windows XP files have been replaced with unrecognized versions and that XP needs to reload them via the WindowsCD

** I also wonder whether the set program defaults may hinder the security settings from being changed if IE (which I have been using to change the settings) is not selected as the default browser?

thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Baseline Security Adviser (Windows XP + SP1)

Hi Imag--
    I ran it when it came out, made some but not all of the changes-because I didn't want to-they took--and didn't get the interesting message you got. You can question MS directly onthe MBSA at mbsafdbk@microsoft.com and there is a newsgroup on it at http://news://microsoft.public.security.baseline analyzer --link won't work here. The security analyzer is made by Shavlik Technologies for Microsoft but I didn't see info at their site. There is Q323467: Issues that Occur after You Implement the MBSA that didn't seem helpful for what's going on here and a Q326867 Webcast: MBSA that might help. TechNet's MBSA Article may be helpful here and Technet's Other MBSA Article may be helpful. There is also TechSpot's Article on the MBSA which could shed some light.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Also--Which version of IE are you using? I'm assuming 6.0. Look at the bottom of this KB:
    Q320454 MBSA Version 1.0 is Available--you may get help by "reregistering the XML parser at the command prompt":
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

If you are running an earlier version of Internet Explorer and you do not want to upgrade to Internet Explorer 5.01 or greater, you may download and install a stand-alone version of the Microsoft XML parser. MSXML version 3.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is available from the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/defaul...ompositedoc.xml
    For additional information about the Microsoft XML parser, please see the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/xml
    If you are running Internet Explorer 5.01 or later and the tool is still unable to read or locate the XML file, there is a chance that another program may have "unregistered" the XML parser. To "re-register" the XML parser, please type regsvr32 msxml.dll at a command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Good luck,

defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the response. I am running version 6 of IE.

I'll check out the KB content about reregistering the XML parser. I sent a mail to the MBSA group and will keep you posted with the response.

thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the suggestions. I've tried everything to no avail.

the pop-up I get advising me that my system files have been replaced with unrecognised versions and that I need to insert my Windows XP install CD etc. I think either relates to the similar issue in the issue list in the KB below

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q324722

the specific issue they describe which sounds like a match apart from the point when it occurs is

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q327101

However, I neither have bootxp or the randomizer on my system.

The only other possibility I can think of is that Norton Antivirus 2003 may not be compatible with XP-SP1?

but I never got the prompt during the install, just afterwards when I rebooted the system.