Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP PRO on Win 2K Server (xp pro)

Having problem logging XP Pro to a network. We are not using a Domain just a workgroup. Server is running Windows 2000 SP2. All other Win98 workstations log on correctly and all see each other. The XP station sees a couple of stations (3 out of 10) but not the server. The XP station is also unable to view the other stations even though file and printer sharing is on for all the computers. Security is not presently an issue. The XP stations can brows the WEB through the network DSL connection.

Thanks,
    apapkin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP PRO on Win 2K Server (xp pro)

What network protocols are you running. If all the Windows 98 PCs are running Netbeui, but only some of them have TCP/IP installed then you would get this behaviour.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for reply:

Win98 stations are all running Netbui and all have TCP/IP as well since they on DSL and the server. All settings are standard settings. One thing though..on the Win98 computers the DSL provider has us put host and domain into DNS settings. As far as I know I cannot find anywhere in XP Pro to do the same. I don't think that has any bearing on the server side since the server is not on the internet and has no knowledge of those settings. The server sees all the Win98 computers except the XP Pro station. Do you think I have to install antiquated Netbui.

apapkin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

"Antiquated Netbeui" is a pretty good protocol for a small non routed LAN. It would certainly be worth a try.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Will try first thing Monday morning my time and let you know. If this works it confirms my first answer to client......"I am too close to problem to see answer."

apapkin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am not suggesting that installing Netbeui is "The answer". But it might well solve your problem.

The biggest advantage of a simple non routable protocol is that it doesn't need any configuring. If you use TCP/IP then you have to configure it correctly. Netbeui on a small network "just works".

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Understood. What's really stupid is that I configured this computer on my bench. It found every computer on my network and also the printers. The only essential difference at client site for the network, is the workgroup name.

apapkin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart:
    Installed Netbui and all showed up. This only temp fix as soon all computers on network will be running XP. Many thanks.
    Allan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a similar problem. When I was using Win 2K on my workstation I had no problems accessing all the shared printers and folders on the network. However, since I upgraded to XP Pro, on some days I can access shared printers and on other days I can't print to any of them. Unfortunately we do use a Domain at my office and the computers are all using TCP/IP with server assigned IP addresses. I hope someone can help me set this up so I can easily access the shared printers and folders the way I used to be able to.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Do you have XP SP-1 installed? Do you get any error messages? Anything in the log files? Do the printers show in your 'printers and faxes' applet? Is your network connection OK when the printing problems occur?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have SP-1 installed. The only error message is that the printer is unavailable. The printers show as ghosts in the printers and faxes applet. Instead of saying Ready under status, they say Unable to connect or Unavailable. The network connection is fine because all the files I have open at the time reside on the win2K server.