2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Systems (Windows XP)

I have just bought an 80gb HDD to use as a backup disk for all the system, application and data files on my other HDDs. However when I come to partition and format it under WinXP, FDISK, or Partition Magic 6 (brand new motherboard and BIOS) it won't partition more than 32gb under the FAT32 file system. It will only partition 80gb under the NTFS file system. Presumably this is a limit that I can't get around or is it? I prefer to keep to the FAT32 system because all my other disks are formatted as such. And I have a dual boot system with Win 98. If I do format all the 80gb under the NTFS system can I still transfer all my files between the two different systems (as with backup and restore) without them being scrunched? I must admit I don' t really know what different file systems are all about and how they affect the portability of files!

Roger

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Systems (Windows XP)

Roger - FAT32 has an absolute upper limit of 32GB per partition. Since you are dual booting you will need to partition the new drive, or Win98 will not be able to read any NTFS partitions. Try searching the Lounge for the pros and cons of each.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

But I have a 40gb HDD with a Fat32 Partition working fine! I gather that Win98 will not read NTFS but WinXP will read both...is that correct. My dual boot system has Win98 and all relevant system files and applications in Drive C: Win XP and other applications and data are in Drive D: and others. Can I just convert D: and the other drives to NTFS leaving Drove C: and its Win98 as Fat32?

Roger

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - I should have been more specific. Windows XP cannot create or format FAT32 partitions greater than 32GB in size.

You are correct - WinXP will read all file systems without a problem. 98 cannot natively read NTFS partitions although you can get a file system driver from SysInternals that will allow that to happen.

If you don't need to access the data on an NTFS partition, you can use them. NTFS partitions will not appear listed in Windows 98 without the aforementioned driver.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

But is there any problem, under WinXP, in backing up my WinXP system, programs and data, which are all on a separate FAT32 drive, to another NTFS drive, and then restoring them back again as needed?

Roger

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the delay in replying. In a word: no. You won't have any problems with the scenario you've described. The only situation that you need to worry about is the fact that any NTFS formatted drives will never be seen by a stock Windows 98 installation. If you're running under XP, the difference between file systems will be transparent to you.
    -Mark