2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Causing Crashes (Excel2000 sr1)

I have a user who insists that Excel causes his other open applications to crash. Excel will not necessarily crash, but he says that when he works in Excel, Outlook and Word oftentimes will crash during or immediately after his Excel session. Has anyone seen / heard of this type of behavior?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Causing Crashes (Excel2000 sr1)

In the past, I have encountered users who have made similar claims. The unfortunate thing is that this type of problem is really hard to nail down. I think the first thing to determine is if this behavior occurs whenever Excel is running or does it occur only when a certain file is open. If it's a specific file, that file is probably corrupt. If it's not a particular file, it could be a faulty Excel installation. It could also be an add-in issue if the user has something like FactSet or some other outside service.

You could reinstall MS Office to see if that alleviates the problem. If not, I think the best way is to start narrowing the symptoms down. Have the user keep a notebook so he/she can jot down what was open and what happened if the system crashes again. See if the system crashes when just Word or Outlook is open.

I'd be interested in hearing the solution if you do arrive at one. Good luck...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Causing Crashes (Excel2000 sr1)

Thanks for the reply. I'll report back if we pinpoint the issue.