deaconwc

Num Locks goes off when Win 2000 loads.

Recently loaded Win2000 on a computer and while getting familiar with the OS noticed that the Num Locks lights up from BIOS but as soon as Windows starts to load all three "lock" leds (on the keyboard) flash and go out. The Num Locks remains off even though the bios is set for Num Locks on on boot. I've looked through all of the keyboard and mouse options in Control Panel but can't find anything. Anyone else having this problem or have suggestions?

deaconwc

Re: Num Locks goes off when Win 2000 loads.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Thanks

URL updated and comments added 22-Jul-01

Explained here at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/tip2600/rh2628.htm>JSI tip #2628</A>

JSI tip #023 also suggests a registry tweak to retain previous setting of Numlock:

Edit:
    HKEY_Current_UserControlPanelKeyboardInitialKeyboa rdIndicators
    Type REG_SZ:
    If set to 0, NumLock is disabled for that current user after logging on.
    If it is 2, NumLock is enabled and will retain the settings from the last shutdown

However, I have found that it can also be necessary to set
    HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelKeyboardInitialKeyboardIndicators
    to 2 as well.

Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

Now how did Y'all know that this is what I was looking for ? My other question is who is the "dim bulb" that said that it is a good thing to reverse the setting of the [Num Lock] key?

Thanks for the info, johnC.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...might be someone who uses a detachable keyboard. The compact kinds do not have a separate numeric keypad, so some of the keys double up. If numlock were on by default, you'd forget to turn it off and keep typing e.g. ' -6334t56n' instead of 'pollution'
    Probably.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It was found that there is (are) more users that do NOT use the 10 key area that those that do. We had to add an entry to the 'Config.sys' to turn it off in the DOS days, which was carried over to the early Windows days.

I started using the number keys on the top row, when I was running CAD CAM software. Both the 10 key and top row would (will) work. It is real funny watching some speedy typing, stop find the 10 key, punch a few numbers and then go back to the typing. Once one learns that the numbers on the top row works, one can improve their speed and thoughts. We even had some video tapes of different people using the 10 key, even the people in the tapes thought it was funny watching themselves do 'Stop, look and type' shuffle.
    If I could, I would cut off that end on my key board.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...but an accountant would not. The numeric keypad on a normal keyboard is highly useful when you are entering only figures. Using just the right hand in the most comfortable position, with the raised dot on the 5 key, they can do it just as fast and without looking as a speed typist using the second top row.
    I don't think either an accountant or a speed typist would want to use a detachable keyboard of the compressed kind, though....

Rgds

cia

Somone else was asking about numlock in post 80711, I found QB262625 on MS Knowledge base, it suggests scripting! They give a script that runs when a user logs on.

My problem is that accountants use the number lock when they enter passwords. I will have to look at the registry tweeks.

rgds