Star Lounger
    Thanks

Track Shared file usage

I want to track the usage of 4 shared files (2 Jet databases) on a Windows 2000 Server. I want a time-stamped log showing the user and each file open and close. I do not want information on each read/write and am worried about the overhead in tracking reads/writes. The access is by a canned application, so the tracking would have to come from Windows. If the File Audit facility in Win2k does this, I am not able to figure out how to set the permissions.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Re: Track Shared file usage

I'm curious what you ended up with. We set something up for file auditing about a year ago and until I read your message I forgot about it. (Either the log is the size of my Outlook PST files or we only have a few weeks of data...) Is there a way to make the log information useful?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Never found a way to get adequate logging.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Check out Filemon on this page: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml. Don't know if it is configurable. So, it may be overkill for you.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but that utility is aimed at a different audience. I am not that interested in what the users did while connected.

I am after a log of users/connections over periods of months. My idea would be something like a time-stamped log of changes to the "Open Files" screen (Computer Management -> System Tools -> Shared Folders -> Open Files) for selected files. I cannot get inside the canned application to add this logging. I cannot do this by running the application from a batch file with external logging because of the way the application uses multiple modules.