New Lounger
    Thanks

new power supply - now no cdrom

My daughter replaced her weak 235 Watt power supply with a 400 Watt power supply. Machine was unplugged during the process. When she booted up, the cdrom and zip drive were no longer recognized.

Attempted Windows new hardware install to no avail. The CDROM was not recognized on auto install nor was any option offered by Windows to install a CDROM. She shut down, unplugged ribbon cable and power from both the Zip drive and the CDROM and booted without them. Then she shutdown, reconnected and powered up, but still neither drive is recognized. System Information does not see the CDROM.

She tried reinstalling the original 235 Watt power supply, but that changed nothing...the drives were still not recognized.

This seems to be a bios problem and we have no idea how to proceed....or determine if the bios is really not seeing the devices.

ATX machine
    Epox - EP-MP3G-M (Viachipset)
    AMD K6 3D 550
    Primary Master = HD
    Primary Slave = Zip 100 Drive
    Secondary Master = CDROM
    Power Supply = 235 to 400 Watts (ATX)
    System BIOS = Award 4.51 PG 09/16/99
    System Chipset:= VIA VT82C597 VP3 System

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: new power supply - now no cdrom

The very first thing I would do would be to make absolutely certain that the IDE connector on the board and drives in question didn't come unseated. I can't imagine that a power supply would zap two working drives - but a loose cable most assuredly would. It only takes a slight pull on the cable to make the drives disappear.
    -Mark

Thanks

Mark has hit on the most probable cause...loose or mis-seated or reversed cable to the drives.
    You can usually see if the BIOS recognizes the drives, by carefully watching the boot screen, right after the memory test. If the BIOS sees them it will list them there. You can also get into the BIOS setup by hitting DEL (usually) during boot and see if all devices are shown there.
    Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I would assume the molex connectors that provide the power are not properly attached. do the lights for the zip and cd-rom drives come on? do they both share the same ide channel? if so, I would check the ide cable on the mother board.