SeanD

Error Using Switchboard

Hi,
    I am using Access 2000 on an HP Omnibook 4150b laptop that is running Windows 2000 w/SP1 installed. My problem is related to using switchboards - NOT creating them.

I am able to create a switchboard and add items to it with NO apparent problem. However, when I try to open the switchboard form I get the message in the attached file.

I have already removed/re-installed Access; and wiped my HD clean, then started over... FDisk, W2k, Office 2k Std, Access 2k... Same Problem !*?*

I am at a complete loss as to how to proceed. Any advice would be wonderful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Using Switchboard

Well, it's telling you that the ADO connection for your currentproject failed. Why is another issue. Do you have a reference set to the ADO object library? Check it and make sure, because it will fail for sure otherwise. The Switchboard Wizard for Access 2000 uses ADO code, rather than the DAO code the previous version used.

If you have the reference set, what version of MDAC are you running? I'm not sure whether the Win2K SR-1 updates to the correct MDAC version, but you could try downloading either MDAC 2.5 SR1 or MDAC 2.6 from the Microsoft site and see if that cures the problem.
    Charlotte

SeanD

Thank you for such wonderful information! However, I do not know how to check for a reference set to the ADO object library. Can you give me an idea about how to do this?

I also do not know how to check my version of MDAC, but I am on my way to Microsoft's web site to look for MDAC and ADO info.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You check the references from the Visual Basic Editor, which you can reach using Alt-F11, among other methods.

Once you're there, click on the Tools menu and select References. You'll see a list of libraries with the top items checked as having been referenced. One of them has to be something like "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.x" or your switchboard code simply won't work. If any of the references has a big MISSING in front of its name, it means that file couldn't be located on your machine. In that case, unselect the reference and recompile the project to see if it makes a difference.

MDAC is the name of the file that contains and installs the ADO components. Sorry for confusing you. If you go to the Office Update site, you can set it up to show you all installed updates and that will probably show you what version of MDAC is installed. Otherwise, the only way I know to check is to look at the individual libraries. MDAC 2.5 installs ADO 2.5 and ADOX 2.1.
    Charlotte

SeanD

Looking around Microsoft's "Universal Data Access (UDA)" site I found the MDAC redistribution packages for several versions, and a handy little utility known as comcheck.exe. The comcheck program has the ability to check the system and provide detailed info about MDAC components. According to it's documentation it can also reconfigure & repair a damaged installation.

After running comcheck, I found out that 5 DLLs and a couple of registry entries were missing. I tried to do a reconfigure with my existing MDAC version (2.5 SR-1) but the comcheck program never presented me with the options it listed in the documentation. So, I went back to the MS web site and DL'd MDAC 2.6 RTM and upgraded my MDAC components.

Upgrading to MDAC 2.6 RTM from my damaged 2.5 SR-1 installation FIXED the problem I was having with switchboards. However, I did find it interesting that comcheck still reports 1 missing DLL.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.