Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook XP Gets stuck (Outlook 2002 SP2)

I use Outlook 2002 under Windows XP SP1. It was very clean until I applied the SP2 patch. Now, from time time, I start Outlook and nothing happens. When I check Taskmgr, I find 2 or 3 instances of Outlook running, one often having a very small footprint. I have to end all the Outlook tasks manually and then Outlook starts fine until the next time it happens. I stop and start Outlook a number of time during the day and this does not happen every time. It is random and I cannot seem to pinpoint when it happens.
    I often shut Outlook down and check Taskmgr to find an Outlook task that has not gone away. However, this does not always prevent Outlook from starting ok, only sometimes.
    Why does Outlook leave a task running after shutdown? I am on a standalone machine with no offline folders. It should shut down clean.
    This only started happening after SP2. With SP1 this never happened.
    ScanPst shows no errors, but in any event I created new PST files and dragged my messages across. This did not help, so I assume it is not a PST corruption problem.
    Thanks
    Brian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook XP Gets stuck (Outlook 2002 SP2)

I have the exact same problem. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It went away on its own. Something fixed it, but not sure exactly what.

Thanks

Other applications that use e-mail functionality sometimes keep Outlook open even when its interface has closed. There are so many possibilities that I could not possibly name them all, but synchronization software that moves mail between a PocketPC device and the computer often has been mentioned as a common reason that Outlook does not close all the way.