New Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing wallpaper (Pro/SP1)

Whenever I set my wallpaper from an image on removeable media (zip, floppy, etc.) I have a problem with it disappearing.
    Once the machine is rebooted and the media has been removed, the image shows up but once the desktop icons load Windows switches to background color only. The computer obviously still has the image SOMEWHERE or it wouldn't be visible at all.
    I know I can copy the image to the hard drive but how else can I get my wallpaper to work? Why does XP do this?

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing wallpaper (Pro/SP1)

Do you have the View my Desktop as a Web Page checkbox ticked? for a long long time I've used ACDSee to set my desktop wallpaper because I don't like the Windows implementation - and I abhor the Active Desktop. There's no better way to turn a lightning fast machine into a slug than to use that "feature."
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

The computer can do the copying for you. Instead of setting your path to the removable media, OPEN the image in your photo viewer ( I agree with WyllyWylly - ACDSee is great) or even open in IE. Right click on the image and select "Set as Wallpaper", with ACDsee it is Right click-> WALLPAPER -> {Choice of } Centered, tiled or stretch.

This will create a copy of the image in your windows folder named "ACDSee wallpaper" or Internet Explorer wallpaper. Assuming you have the dreaded Active Desktop off, it will convert the image to a bitmap. This way your original file is intact. The next time you set a wallpaper in this fashion, it will overwrite the previous file so you don't get a lot of duplicate photos all over your HD.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Why convert to a bitmap, when all one needs to do is copy the file to any folder on your hard drive and then browse to it within the screen saver setup pane. Xp can read many different formats for wallpaper.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.