Thread: SP1 (XP Home)

Lounger
    Thanks

SP1 (XP Home)

One of the bugs that SP1 was supposed to fix was an identified problem with accessing the recovery console when it has been installed on the hard disk. To start the recovery console, it asks you for the administrator password, which is blank on XP Home, and always rejects whatever you enter. This was supposed to have been fixed in SP1. I installed SP1, and the fix did not work. Dell technical support recommends "formatting C: and reinstall the OS" which I am not interested in. As this is an OEM system (Dell8200), I have to get my support from Dell. How can I report this bug to MS without paying for a billable service call to them? Is there any way to post these reports to MS via email? I have not been able to find any way to contact MS with this kind of information.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: SP1 (XP Home)

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Redfearn--
    Give MS a call toll free--they may be willing to count this as an SP1 installation problem, and then you can get a support episode.

defrag

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this is of any help, because I'm not familiar with Windows XP.

Windows 2000 SP2 shipped a utility called SETPWD.EXE which enabled you to change the password used by the recovery console and Directory Restore mode. Is this utility available on Windows XP?

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Redfearn--
    There is a Windows Online Crash Analysis Site and you can try this, but my experience is you'll get a number, you'll tell them what's going on--their server will log the info so that if there are enough of them they'll consider generating a KB--but I've never received an actual "do this, do that and you'll be fixed from this." What I always get is "there is no immediate solution for your problem"--when there often is--I always translate that to mean "no human is going to be involved here." I would sure call and ask for SP1 installation incident support--nothing to lose for asking.

defrag