New Lounger
    Thanks

Post SP1 installation blues (WIndows XP Pro + (sigh) SP1)

this is actually a continuation from the post I made around Windows Baseline Security Adviser which I don't think was the issue.

I reformatted my HD and reloaded Windows XP pro. I then installed Windows XP SP1, which completed fine. I then installed Office XP pro and Office SP1 and SP2.

I then loaded on all other apps, including diskeeper and Norton Antivirus 2003.

After I had completed all installs I used the system for a few days before I started getting the message on rebooting the machine informing me that windows XP files have been replaced with unrecognized versions and that XP needs to reload them via the WindowsCD.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q324722

the specific issue they describe which sounds like a match apart from the point when it occurs is

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q327101

However, I neither have bootxp or the randomizer on my system.

The only other possibility I can think of is that Norton Antivirus 2003 may not be compatible with XP-SP1?

but I never got the prompt during the install, just afterwards when I rebooted the system.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Post SP1 installation blues (WIndows XP Pro + (sigh) SP1)

Imag--
    I read over the SP1 KB's including the ones listed in the first KB you referenced. Doesn't seem to be any help there. You can do a quick search at Symantec's KB for NAV 2003--and although they're famous for issues and conflicts with NAV--I doubt on its face that 2003 which is not that different from 2002 would conflict with SP1. It won't take that long to uninstall SP1 and reinstall it and see if your problem is gone. Why not try that? I'm just one case, but I'm not having any problems with Diskeeper and SP1 and there aren't any SP1 issues on their site.

defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks again. I'll try down that route.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Imag--
    FWIW I did a search at the Symantec Error Messages KB and came up empty on this.

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Hi Imag, Sorry to come in late on this but maybe if you can stand it you should re-load again but stop after Office and the Office service packs for a couple days. You could install a free av app like AVG or Avast to get you by. If everything is ok after a couple days, then add an app every couple days to try to isolate the problem. If you want to install NAV be sure to uninstall any other av app first. Although NAV has caused its fair share of problems there could be another app, virus, or trojan that is the culprit now.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

dear defrag and joe

thanks for the input. I have a Dell Latitude C840 and the display chipset has failed and the mouse pointing assembly and there is a 'high pitched' whine from the memory and I have these problems.

I concur with the suggestion of reinstalling the stuff and stopping at the service pack and rebuilding it selectively until I can isolate the problem, thanks. if it wasn't for the fact that I'm now on a business trip until December and won't really have time I'll have to live with it or uninstall SP1 and reinstall all of the security hotfixes and stay with Nav 2002. I can also always uninstall Nav 2003 and reinstall Nav 2002 and see if that works. Or I could just wait for Dell to send me my exchange laptop and hope the build comes with SP1 and that they have fully tested and that everything works. Airborne pigs spring to mind ....