New Lounger
    Thanks

Programs conected to internet exit on startup (Windows XP Pro)

Whenever I go into certain programs, only about 80% of the time, the program will exectue, then immidiately after, exit. The only two programs it does this on is Zone Labs ZoneAlarm, and Aol Instant Messenger. This is kind of causing as a problem for me, and I would appreciate it if someone could think up an idea as to why? and how to fix it. I've restarted the computer multiple times, and this has been happening for about days now also. Thank you.
    -Ben

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Programs conected to internet exit on startup (Windows XP Pro)

Ben--
    I need some help as to what is happening. Are Zonealarm and AOL doing this? Are all other programs doing this when you have Zonealarm on and AOL IM on? Not sure what you mean by "on?" You said "on Zonealarm and on AOL." Also, when the programs exit, are you just crashed back to your desktop, or do you get any kind of error message at all any time during this?

defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

What I meant was, whenever I literally load ZoneAlarm, and Load AIM, this happens, but as soon as it Loads, the program immediately exits, going directly back to the Desktop as if nothing happened.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Are you running the most current versions? I know that some of the older ZA versions don't play well with XP. Not sure about AIM but maybe the same situation. Have you check the task manager to make sure that ZA is not just running without a GUI active?

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

First, try disabling ZoneAlarm - and I mean completely unloading it - and see if you can start AIM. If that works, you've found the culprit. ZoneAlarm has a tendency to get flakey in my experience.

If that doesn't work, uninstall both programs completely, and then install them one at a time, and see what happens. For ZoneAlarm, I'd reboot just to be on the safe side. Install AIM first, see if it works. If it does - try ZA next.

I'd also be interested in seeing if either remains in memory after the load and disappear. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and see if you can spot AIM.EXE or TrueVector in the Processes tab of Task Manager.
    -Mark