WinXP Home SP-1 kills product activation? (Win XP Home SP-1)

I installed SP-1 on a legal, licensed copy of Win XP Home that I got with a new computer.

Since I installed it, the product activation wizard advised me that I had 18 days to activate this copy of Win XP. I thought no problem, it was a big upgrade so I followed the wizard. It confirmed activation.

A week later the same thing happened again although this time it warned me I now have only 11 days. I'm getting concerned that this is a problem with SP-1. I haven't installed any other software (or hardware for that matter) on this computer recently.

In Computer Management/System Tools/Event Manager/Applications I can see log entries when the activation wizard triggered and later entries confirming activation was successful for both attempts. An warning message the day before the second time said "Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Product Activation
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 10/06/02
    Time: 10:39:00 PM
    User: <I removed this name>
    Computer: <I removed this name>
    You have not successfully activated this product, or the current license is incompatible with the existing operating system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at"

But there's no help there and the MS online support did not seem to be working.

Has anyone else had this experience?

St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 899 Posts

Re: WinXP Home SP-1 kills product activation? (Win XP Home SP-1)

Hi Martin, Here's a copy from a post in an MS newsgroup:

"Try the following two commands from Start - Run

regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Then check the activation status and reactivate it again, hopefully for
    the last time."