5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Activate Contacts (Wd XP VBA)

From a Word macro, I need to activate Outlook Contacts if it's currently running. The following works well, most of the time:

If Tasks.Exists("Contacts") Then
    Tasks("Contacts").Activate

However, if the current session of Contacts is not "owned" by the current user (e.g. a secretary who has permission to her boss's and that Contacts folder is open), an error displays saying that Contacts cannot be activated.

I suppose this is a Microsoft security safeguared, but it doesn't seem to make sense... if the current user has permission to the folder, WHICH IS A CURRENT TASK, why would it not be assumed that a macro should be able to activate that task?

Is there a way around this, or perhaps there's a setting in Outlook that would not cause this error.

Also, when starting Outlook fomr Word, is there a switch to cause it to open with Contacts as the view?

Thanks
    Richard Barrett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Activate Contacts (Wd XP VBA)

I'm a newbie at Outlook, but this works for me in Office 97. There may still be a problem with your security issue that one of our Outlook gurus will have to tackle. You could also add another line to set the Contacts view to a standard (like address cards). HTH --Sam

<pre>Option Explicit

Sub viewContacts()

Dim olApp As Outlook.Application
    Dim olNS As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim olContacts As Outlook.MAPIFolder
    On Error Resume Next
    Set olApp = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application")
    If olApp Is Nothing Then _
    Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    olApp.Visible = True
    Set olNS = olApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set olContacts = olNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
    olContacts.Display
    End Sub</pre>

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your suggested code.

The "security" problem ended up not being a problem at all. Although the symptoms looked like a logical problem -- access to "my" Contacts folder but not to those owned by others -- it couldn't be duplicated 24 hours later, and everything worked as expected. Go figure!

Thanks again.
    Richard Barrett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Next time it happens tell them to grin and bear it. --Sam Barrett
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sam,

I've just gotten around to testing the code you suggested. It won't compile for me in Word 97. The very first line causes an error.... "user defined type is not defined." Outlook.Application seems to be triggering that. Is this code that you wrote in Word? Did you attach a reference that I perhaps don't have attached?

Thanks,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You need to set a reference in Tools/References... to the Microsoft Outlook nn Object Model. The value of nn depends on the version of Outlook you're using.

Usually, if you set the reference on a machine with an older version of Outlook, and then move to a machine with a newer version, the refererence will update itself. But if you set the reference on a machine with a newer version, and then move to a machine with an older version, you may get syntax errors. In that case, select Tools/References..., uncheck the MISSING reference, click OK, select Tools/References... again and check the correct reference.