New Lounger
    Thanks

Adding a Win98 laptop to a W2K domain

When I try to add our w98 laptop to our w2k domain it asks for a password that I don't know (and I know a lot of passwords). I vaguely remember that there is some problem with how 98 vs 2K store passwords and that you have to change one of them to act like the other. Does anyone know how to get the win98 box to talk coherently to the w2k server? Or if there is some better way I'd love to hear that.

Thanks. Gord

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Adding a Win98 laptop to a W2K domain

Is this when you try to join the domain? If so, it is asking for a user and password that has permission to add a user to a domain. If you really don't need domain control you can use shares on folders and/or files to accomplish what you wish.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding a Win98 laptop to a W2K domain

Can you please clarify exactly what you are trying to do. As far as I understand things, a Windows98 system can't be a member of a domain.

On the Windows98 Control Panel > Network you can configure the Client for Microsoft Networks so that you log in to a domain, but this doesn't cause you to join the domain the way you would with NT4 or W2K. After the Windows98 system reboots you will get a login box that includes domain name as well as username and password and you just log in to the domain as normal.

StuartR