Thread: Question?? (97)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question?? (97)

Is there a developers version of Access?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Question?? (97)

The Office Developers Edition (ODE) contains all of Office Professional, plus FrontPage, developer tools and extra documentation.

For Access, it includes the runtime version of Access and an unlimited license to distribute this, so that users without the standard version of Access can use your database application.

Microsoft doesn't sell the 97 edition anymore; but you might be able to get a new or secondhand copy elsewehere. For the XP version, see for instance http://www.microsoft.com/office/deve...te/default.asp.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have Access 2000 that we may be upgrading to. Would it be to my advantage to get the Developers version of Office 2000? Would it help in creating better databases?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Developer Edition has some nice tools, such as Code Librarian and Visual Source Safe. They don't necessarily improve the quality of your database, but make development easier.

It also comes with a developer version of SQL Server 2000, so if you have contemplated converting to a SQL Server backend/Access frontend, that is helpful.

Apart from that, I would say that the ability to distribute the runtime version of Access is the main feature of the ODE as far as Access is concerned.

Other Loungers: correct me if I'm wrong, and if you have additional info and tips, please post them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You may also have trouble finding the 2000 version of the ODE, as the 2002 version (aka XP) is now the official product. If you are going to upgrade you might want to consider going to Access/Office 2002.
    Wendell