Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Downloads for Win XP SP2 Appearing (Win XP Pro)

This seems to me more a case of "don't believe everything you hear." It appears to be a hotfix for the Chinese language version of XP. It sure ain't no service pack. I don't know where you get your information - nor why you'd be interested in this. Service Pack 1 for English versions of XP literally just came out, after months of structured beta testing. Although I'm sure the second service pack is on the books and is being planned, there haven't even been whispers on the street of it being released a month after the first one came out. In fact - that would be unprecedented. Don't be too eager to run out and grab every single patch or hotfix that comes along; let the beta testers do that job for you.
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downloads for Win XP SP2 Appearing (Win XP Pro)

Edited by WyllyWylly to add URL code and remove unecessary white space. See the Quick Guide.[/i]

On the MSN Newsgroups, there are download sites for XP SP2. I realize this pattern happens and that headaches and KB fixes and go arounds for SP1 are churning out, but if someone has an extra "experimental/play with apps" machine or hard drive it may be "fun" to check out. Here's an example--I understand it could be something else all together. A lot of the threads say an SP2 is coming out in December to fix SP1--and then an SP to infinity to keep fixing the SP's I guess--to patch the patch to patch the patch--which I guess is the Redmond version of zen or maybe Jon Stewart's zen version of the Redmond version of zen.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

There is an article in a computer magazine in Hong Kong which downloaded the so-called sp2 patch and compared the results without the patch, both after installing SP1 and obtained the following results:

Memory usage:
    Fresh install of XP = 73.7mb
    Fresh install of XP with SP1 = 119mb
    Fresh install of XP with SP1 & SP2 = 68.7mb

Startup time
    Fresh install = 20.53 sec
    Fresh install w/ SP1 = 41.07 sec
    Fresh install w/ SP1 & SP2 = 18 sec

And here's the url (the hyperlink refuses to work in markup after many tries--it takes you to a 404 Page Not Found in Markup but it will take you to a download if you paste it):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...sp2_x86_CHT.exe

This could be just a hotfix which existed before the introduction of the Service Pack 1

Can someone tell me what this is? By the look of it, it's from Taiwan Microsoft and is for the Chinese version of the XP. Where can I get the English version? Many thanks.

Lokoo
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Hey defrag, Q328145 is related to security bulletin MS02-050.
    see: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...in/MS02-050.asp for details. BTW, the SP2 in the file name just means that the patch will probably be in service pack 2. It does not mean that service pack 2 exists or that even the contents are decided.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark and Joe--
    No doubt this is good advice--where I get my information is anywhere I can, but usually from reliable sources and I always try to document where and without fail hyperlink to it. One of the places where you can get a gamut of information ranging from excellent( from the Microsoft MVP's and others) and shaky is the MSN newsgroups--and this was in the category of shaky and not well documented from the general MSN XP newsgroup.

I have some concept of what the Beta testers do--I was one for versions of Beta XP--and other applications that aren't out yet--and while it is an excellent operating system there are plenty of things that are still in Beta in reality and always will be even after Blackcomb--Office too. And like a lot of other people, I have put plenty into Microsoft Wish and emailed Microsoft Research.

defrag

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The following is from http://www.microsoft.com/MSCorp/presspass/...tlrsrvrbeta.asp, second paragraph.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "Whistler," the code name for the next version of the Microsoft Windows server operating system, represents the customer-driven evolution of Windows 2000. With Whistler, Microsoft is building on the reliability, manageability and scalability that customers value in Windows 2000, while offering support for new, high-performance 64-bit hardware architectures based on Intel Itanium processors.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.