5 Star Lounger
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA

Command Line Options

I need a list of different command line options usable with Access 2000. My goal is to have a DOS batch file issue the command to start Access, open a specified file, and execute a non-autoexec macro (which, when it is done its work, would quit Access and return control to the DOS batch file.)

I know I can use the filename as a command line argument, but I don't know if it is possible to execute a specific macro from the same command line. The DOS batch file is to be used to update the database after hours, as a scheduled item. I could set up an autoexec macro within the database to accomplish the update, but that would cause it to run every time the database is opened, and that is something that I do not want. (The update would occur weekly, but the database may be accessed daily.)

Silver Lounger
    Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Re: Command Line Options

Hi David,

You can start access with the switch:
    <pre>/x macroname</pre>

So the command you could use would be something like:
    <pre>C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMsaccess.EXE C:My DocumentsMyDatabase.MDB /x UpdateMacro</pre>

This will run the specified macro. Another thought instead of using batch files is to set the built-in Windows Scheduling Agent to run the commandline at the desired interval.
    Hope this helps....