New Lounger
    Thanks

XP SP1 Installation Proceedure (XP SP1)

Hi all. Woody's Windows XP 24 June 2002 - Vol 2 No. 24 recommends that "If you have the entire "Stand-Alone" patch in hand, you can blast away all remnants and partial remnants of earlier updates, starting out fresh. Without doubt, this is the best way to go."

My question is how is this best done? I've got 22 Hotfix patches labeled "Windows XP Hotfix (SP1)" on my XP Home machine. Do I uninstall each one? If so, in what order? Does it make a difference?

Any advice greatly appreciated,
    Alan Chudnow

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP SP1 Installation Proceedure (XP SP1)

Alan,

While Woody's advise presents a perfect case scenario, I was in the same situation as you when I installed SP1 with the entire Stand-Alone patch. I had installed all the available Hotfix patches, too. I upgraded without uninstalling the patches and my WinXP Home is working perfectly and might be a little quicker than before the upgrade. Of course, Windows behaves differently from machine to machine, but I recommend that you proceed with the installation without uninstalling your 22 Hotfix patches.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Hi Alan, You can go ahead and apply SP-1. If you look in the control panel | add/remove programs after SP-1 is installed you'll see that the individaul patches you mention are gone. Then delete the uninstall files for those hotfixes under c:windows. The $uninstall files are not required after SP-1 becuase if you get into a situation where you have to re-install you've go the full SP-1.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I finally got around to installing SP-1 on several machines today and as you and a number of others have said in various threads, didn't have any problems. The only thing in my case that could even be called something of a "glitch" was that on a couple of machines where Mozilla was the default browser, the Autorun.HTM didn't want to execute the install EXE. I just ran IE and that small problem went away. None of the machines I upgraded have any driver or whatever problems and it's too soon to know if the boot time or operational speed is any different. I must admit I have to smile at the "new" entry on the top of the Start Menu called "Set Program Access and Defaults."