Star Lounger
    Thanks

Settings - O2K to Office XP (WinXP Pro/Office XP)

Before acquiring a new computer, I ran the Save My Settings Wizard in Office 2K. Now, I'd like to restore it to my new PC, which has WinXP Pro/Office XP. Some questions:

1. Can SMS Wizard work across the generations of Office versions like that?
    2. I have tried to restore from my new PC, but when I click Finish, the Wizard asks for my passport .net or hotmail username and password, neither of which account do I have nor do I want.
    3. If I'm out of luck in using SMSW, is there another (manual) way to move the settings? I care less about my toolbar customization than things like autotext or autocorrect entries. I have a complete backup of my old PC hard drive, so I can locate any file I need.

Many TIA

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Settings - O2K to Office XP (WinXP Pro/Office XP)

1. Yes, you can restore your Office 2000 settings on XP installation.
    2. Seemly Microsoft forces you to open passport account.
    3. It is better to use Profile Wizard from Office 2000 Resource Kit to save your settings locally in one file.
    To do this, download Office Reskit Tools from http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/d...ad/ORKTools.exe (this is 8.9 MB download), install it, run Profile Wizard and follow the screen. Your settings will be saved locally in one file (usually 2 - 3 MB in size). After installing Office XP, use Save My Settings Wizard for Office XP and restore your settings from the file.

Note: Your Outlook accounts (usernames and passwords) will not be saved. Write them down. Also I would recommend to save your Outlook folders with Outlook Backup in .pst file, and then restore them with Outlook 2002 Backup.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

Since I don't have my old PC up and running (the HD is backed up to a Drive Image file), it seems like it may be too late (or at least too unwieldy) to save my old setting properly using the Reskit tools as you suggest.

So I guess I have to bend to MS's will and get a passport account just to restore what I saved on their server?? that's the kind of MS heavy-handedness that drives people to buy Linux and Star Office.

Thanks again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm not getting anywhere with restoring my settings from MS's servers (first I had a passport account, then I didn't, now they find no settings saved for such account and suggest it expired (I saved them less than 3 weeks ago).

Anyway, can anyone point me to where most of the settings (especially autotext and autocorrect) are located so I can manually transfer them from my O2K to OXP? Thanks

Thanks

If you haven't found them by now, AutoText are stored in templates, usually mostly in Normal.dot, and AutoCorrect usually in a file ending with .ACL under the Application

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update:

It took me a little while to get around to it, but I followed kaplinb's instructions and it worked like a charm.

Only problem is, this is a "global" restoration, and will import what appears to be all your settings and customizations, good, bad and indifferent. So I gained some toolbars from my old office, which I really didn't want. My bad.

jscher2000's suggestion is therefore useful if you want to be a little more surgically precise in what you want to transplant from the old office machine to the new one.

So does anyone know how I can uninstall these unwanted toolbars (I do not have the apps from whence they came installed on my machine), or at least control what toolbars Word 2002 launches when it starts up?

TIA

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right click the toolbar area, Customise, Toolbars, select the toolbar you want to get rid of from the list (select it, not the checkbox) and click delete.

To hide the toolbars, use the same process but uncheck the box instead of deleting. Unless the toolbars are being shown by an autoexec macro they will stay hidden.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia